Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
    Really off-thread now, but Terry Eagleton's new book, Critical Revolutionaries, has a pretty good go at restating the rationale for it....
    Thanks for that, I've been wondering what to read next.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
      Really off-thread now, but Terry Eagleton's new book, Critical Revolutionaries, has a pretty good go at restating the rationale for it....
      Those of us who’ve waited 40 years for that style of criticism to come back into fashion can scarcely believe it.

Comment

Download of the month from a.bruckner.com: https://www.abruckner.com/downloads/...3wNUxMrAHqECGU

i.e. a FLAC of the excellent Sinfonica of Lonon/Wyn Morris Helgoland. With Windows, just right-click on the download link and "Save link as ...".

Comment

For anyone there who fancies trips across the Channel for an Anton Bruckner symphony cycle, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra has you in mind, for a cycle scheduled over the next two seasons:

No. 3: 17 December 2023 (Ivan Fischer)
          No. 7: 19 January 2024 (Myung-whun Chung)
          No. 5: 2 May 2024 (Klaus Mäkelä)
          No. 8: 20 June 2024 (Christian Thielemann)
          No. 2: 27 September 2024 (Andrew Manze)
          No. 4: 3 October 2024 (Daniel Harding)
          No. 1: 8 December 2024 (Vladimir Jurowski)
          No. 6: 17 January 2025 (Simone Young)
          No. 9: 6 February 2025 (Riccardo Chailly) (*)

(*) For No. 9, "in voltooide vorm" translates as "in completed form". Guess we'll learn later which completion that Chailly will use.

Comment

Anyone wondering which edition of Bruckner's 8th was broadcast on TtN last night, it was the Haas. Not mentioned in the listing or the on-air (or online) presentation, of course.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              kernelbogey commented
              Editing a comment
              Do the presenters ever give that information? Unsure I've ever heard it stated.

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Anyone wondering which edition of Bruckner's 8th was broadcast on TtN last night, it was the Haas. Not mentioned in the listing or the on-air (or online) presentation, of course.
            Sadly I thought it a lugubrious, plodding performance. Is the Haas the version the one most frequently performed (forgive my ignorance)?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post

Sadly I thought it a lugubrious, plodding performance. Is the Haas the version the one most frequently performed (forgive my ignorance)?
              The Haas version includes several bars cut by Bruckner. Haas thought that the cuts were made under duress, but his edition does not represent any performance of the symphony during the composer's lifetime. It is considered by many to be "musicologically incorrect" (my phrase) but many conductors, including Haitink, Wand, Karajan and Thielmann, have preferred it to the Nowak edition published in the 1950s. Haas's membership of the NSDAP meant that he lost his official positions after World War 2 and his Bruckner work was continued and replaced under Nowak's direction.

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post

The Haas version includes several bars cut by Bruckner. Haas thought that the cuts were made under duress, but his edition does not represent any performance of the symphony during the composer's lifetime. It is considered by many to be "musicologically incorrect" (my phrase) but many conductors, including Haitink, Wand, Karajan and Thielmann, have preferred it to the Nowak edition published in the 1950s. Haas's membership of the NSDAP meant that he lost his official positions after World War 2 and his Bruckner work was continued and replaced under Nowak's direction.
                Please remember that Nowak, later, also edited the 1887 'original' version. Frankly, I give more credence to the openly conjectural 'reconstruction', by Carragan, of a putative interim version of 1888 than I do the Haas pick 'n mix. There's a laughably ignorant review of the Schaller recording of the Carragan '1888' edition. After dismissing Carragan's work, out of hand, kitchen department hand Hurwitz, goes on to offer Maazel and Wand as "Reference Recording​" (that's singular in Hurwitz's use). How can recordings of different editions be taken as reference recordings for a very different one? Of course, Hurwitz fails to cite the editions actually deployed by Maazel and Wand.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                  For anyone there who fancies trips across the Channel for an Anton Bruckner symphony cycle, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra has you in mind, for a cycle scheduled over the next two seasons:

No. 3: 17 December 2023 (Ivan Fischer)
                  No. 7: 19 January 2024 (Myung-whun Chung)
                  No. 5: 2 May 2024 (Klaus Mäkelä)
                  No. 8: 20 June 2024 (Christian Thielemann)
                  No. 2: 27 September 2024 (Andrew Manze)
                  No. 4: 3 October 2024 (Daniel Harding)
                  No. 1: 8 December 2024 (Vladimir Jurowski)
                  No. 6: 17 January 2025 (Simone Young)
                  No. 9: 6 February 2025 (Riccardo Chailly) (*)

(*) For No. 9, "in voltooide vorm" translates as "in completed form". Guess we'll learn later which completion that Chailly will use.
                  Very tempting - but a bit expensive to keep travelling to Amsterdam. Should be splendid in the Concertgebouw - a superb venue.

Comment

Working...
                  X