Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Mahler

I'd not come across this before, it's a fascinating compilation dating from 1964 of musicians who played under Mahler and others who'd come across him.
    William Malloch's « I Remember Mahler » , KPFK-FM (Pacifica Radio) , Los Angeles (1964)Radio broadcast at one of the old Mahlerthons staged by the local Mahl...

Thanks, this is fascinating. A similar broadcast, maybe part of this (about 25 minutes) was on the fourth side of Bernstein's CBS Lp set of Mahler's sixth. It was mostly, if not wholly, of ex-NYPO players who had played under Mahler, and contained some revelations about his behaviour in rehearsal. Sadly, I gave away my copy in 1984 so I'm not in a position to compare them.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Thanks, this is fascinating. A similar broadcast, maybe part of this (about 25 minutes) was on the fourth side of Bernstein's CBS Lp set of Mahler's sixth. It was mostly, if not wholly, of ex-NYPO players who had played under Mahler, and contained some revelations about his behaviour in rehearsal. Sadly, I gave away my copy in 1984 so I'm not in a position to compare them.
      I still have that LP set of the Bernstein Mahler 6 which I bought in 1978 when some of the individuals interviewed for the programme were still alive.

The full programme was included in a CD boxed set of the New York Philharmonic Mahler Broadcasts, which I bought from Tower Records in 1994. It's a fascinating listen.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        That material is filler on the Resurrection disc of the Carnegie Hall reissue of the Symphonies

Comment

Many thanks.

Comment

I have always had a bee in my bonnet about the violin part at the beginning of the fourth symphony. Mahler writes 2 3 4 as fingerings over the D, E, and F#, then a slide to the G and a 2 over it. Which to me (not a violinist!) looks very much as though the middle finger is supposed to slide up to the G from _below_ the F#. Instead you normally don’t hear a slide at all, or if you do it’s from the G down to the B.

I was INORDINATELY pleased to hear in these interviews how Mahler worked on precisely that detail.

Please no one tell me that it isn’t in there and I just dreamt it.

Comment

It's many years since I listened to the reminiscences published on the fourth side of the Bernstein Mahler 6 but I do distinctly recall an aged ex-NYP violinist telling how Mahler insisted on a long gliss. up to the G. There;s also the terrible story of how he made the double basses play the 'Joy' theme one by one, and one of them was too nervous to do it alone.

Comment

Working...
              X