Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Walker - or her producer - have decided that the work from which they have just played a movement is called 'Mahler's Symphony No. 1 - the Titan'. I know this has been discussed recently elsewhere. Wasn't 'Der Titan' a Romantic-era novella?
    (I suppose we should be grateful she didn't play the Adagietto from the 5th symphony, which I haven't heard for DAYS …)

Comment

I take the liberty of reposting Bryn's post on this topic from the TTN thread, where the same question had been raised.

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      The five movement Symphonic Poem in Two Parts, 'Titan', four movements of which Mahler reorchestrated to create his 1st Symphony, is where the soubtequet belongs. He did not carry it over to the four-movement 1st Symphony. There are now a few recordings of the five-movement 'Titan' to be had, including at least one using the fairly recent critical edition. The 'Blumine' movement, which Mahler did not carry forward to the 1st Symphony, even predates 'Titan'.

[E&OE - sent from mobile phone.]

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        I take the liberty of reposting Bryn's post on this topic from the TTN thread, where the same question had been raised.
        Thank you. To answer my own question in #135, the book in question was Jean Paul's novel 'Titan'

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          The ICA Classics Bruno Walter Mahler 1 that Hornspieler referred to playing in from 1955 has arrived and I shall be giving it a spin tomorrow.
          It is very enjoyable but his Columbia SO recording is still my favourite.

Comment

I only learned today of a recording claiming to be of the Budapest version of Mahler's "Symphony No.1 with "Blumine"":

Does anyone here happen to have this disc? If so, could they please peruse the programme notes for any indication of the provenance of the score used? It has been suggested that this is of the Budapest version of what, at the time, was known as a Symphonic Poem in Two Parts, 'Ttan'. However, it also appears that only three of the five movements of that score survive, and they can be found, filled out to a complete performance by the missing movements taken from the Hamburg version, played by the NEC (on Youtube). The Fischer recording can currently be found on QOBUZ, Prestomusic, et al.

Comment

I don’t have it but I have been very taken by Abbado’s 1991 account with the BPO - a serious cut above his rather clinical analogue account.

Very beautifully played and if not quite the character of Bruno Walter or drama of Bernstein’s DG account it is very very fine.

PS looking at both Presto and Amazon’s listings it looks like the Fischer Hungaroton is the final version of Mahler 1 with Blumine inserted as the second movement.
              Last edited by Barbirollians; 25-11-21, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                I only learned today of a recording claiming to be of the Budapest version of Mahler's "Symphony No.1 with "Blumine"":

Does anyone here happen to have this disc? If so, could they please peruse the programme notes for any indication of the provenance of the score used? It has been suggested that this is of the Budapest version of what, at the time, was known as a Symphonic Poem in Two Parts, 'Ttan'. However, it also appears that only three of the five movements of that score survive, and they can be found, filled out to a complete performance by the missing movements taken from the Hamburg version, played by the NEC (on Youtube). The Fischer recording can currently be found on QOBUZ, Prestomusic, et al.
                I have it as an iTunes download, purchased at the time for Blumine. Sorry, no notes

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  . . . looking at both Presto and Amazon’s listings it looks like the Fischer Hungaroton is the final version of Mahler 1 with Blumine inserted as the second movement.
                  I included both of those sources in my search for information. However, each merely cites the description from the front cover. Discogs claims, with reference to the original double LP issue, that it is of "The Original Budapest Version 1889". Similar claims have been made on the Facebook Gustav Mahler Group, hence my query.

Comment

Working...
                  X