• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Ymmd
    ... "You Made My Day"???

:baffled emoticon:

Comment

I am going to see Bruckner 8 on August 24th do you guys have any suggestions of good recordings for me to listen to? To ready me for it. I am seeing the BBC Symphony Orchestra in the RAH at BBC Proms. It will be my first time there.

Comment

Originally posted by ASD01 View Post
        I am going to see Bruckner 8 on August 24th do you guys have any suggestions of good recordings for me to listen to? To ready me for it. I am seeing the BBC Symphony Orchestra in the RAH at BBC Proms. It will be my first time there.
        If you go on the 24th, you will miss it. It's on the 23rd. It's also the Haas compilation (with linking passage by the editor). If you are happy to make do with that, I reckon Karajan's DG Berlin recording might be a good bet, though I avoid the Haas version, mostly.

Comment

Regarding editions of the 8th, I plan to listen again to Schaller's recording of Carragan's edition of a putative intermediate version of 1888. A more honest attempt at putative (re)construction than Haas's compilation from the 1887 and 1890 versions, I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by ASD01 View Post
            If you're unfamiliar with the work I'd go for the NDRSO/Wand in this Haas edition. It's direct, very clearly played and recorded, with no eccentricity of tempi or interpretation. A good one to get to know it from, and Wand frequently conducted Bruckner with the BBCSO, so a nice connection to your concert.

Cheap CDs readily found, and it is available to stream in most places...
            There is another NDR/Wand 8th from Lubeck Cathedral (with the cathedral pictured on the front), possibly even more spectacular due to the acoustic setting, but seems only available at great 2ndhand expense now. Wand recorded it in Berlin later and that is another fine recording. All on RCA.

With Karajan, Berlin '75 is fine but I feel the late Vienna Phil one is the more intense and compelling.

Comment

Phew. How quickly prices rise. That Lubeck live recording is in the Wand Live box of 33 CDs. It's only 14 months since I bought it for marginally over £1 per disc from Amazon.

Comment

This seemed to be a good place to ask this: last night's (Mon 2 Nov) evening concert featured Bruckner 4, but not in a version I have heard before. Did anyone else hear it and can confirm which it is, since it wasn't announced. I think probably the 1874 original, since the recordings I usually listen to are either the Haas (1881) or Nowak (1886) edition which I understand are pretty similar unless you're listening out for changes, and the Furtwangler (1889-90 version) account hasn't surprised me either. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by crb11 View Post
                  This seemed to be a good place to ask this: last night's (Mon 2 Nov) evening concert featured Bruckner 4, but not in a version I have heard before. Did anyone else hear it and can confirm which it is, since it wasn't announced. I think probably the 1874 original, since the recordings I usually listen to are either the Haas (1881) or Nowak (1886) edition which I understand are pretty similar unless you're listening out for changes, and the Furtwangler (1889-90 version) account hasn't surprised me either. Thanks.
                  I just took a quick listen - yes, this Residentie performance is of the 1874 First Version. The easiest way to check and confirm is to try the third movement, which is of course a completely different piece from the familiar 1878-80 one (which is the same as 1886). Several fine recordings of 1874 now, including excellent accounts from Norrington and Simone Young.
                  Quite right too, that Haas and Nowak are very similar.

The first published edition of 1888 is close to Haas or Nowak, but has significant differences in textual subtleties, scherzo repeats, orchestration, expression marks and dynamics etc. The finale has significant structural alterations too.
                  Knappertsbusch and Furtwängler usually performed this edition and it was the version which established the work in the repertoire. .

Do listen to the more recent recording of this version (ed. Korstvedt) on BIS, from Minneapolis SO/Vanska. Very rewarding indeed.
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 04-11-20, 04:24.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and recommendations. I've heard Norrington in a couple of other symphonies and thought a lot of his 6, so expect his 4 should be good. I had no idea Vanska had recorded Bruckner and will be intrigued to see what he does with it.

Comment

Yes, I kept wondering, and a bit baffled, all the way through the performances - familiar and then not. Weird experience all round.

Comment

Working...
                      X