Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gresham College Music Lectures

I watched one of these about the Britten SQ #2 last night, which was really interesting.

Something in this list for everybody, surely?

does anybody else listen to or watch these? Any you can especially recommend?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

ts:
    This is great!! All these lectures will keep me entertained (in the best sense) probably well beyond Christmas. But isn’t it a sort of thing (musical related lectures by top expert for interested but not professional listeners) that Radio3 should be doing?

I’ve just listen to this. It wasn’t what I thought but very interesting all the same.
    The Science of Singing
    Singing affects us all in some way, but what is the science behind it? Discover the science that explains how singers can gain a wide pitch range, greater volume and sing in different styles.This is a part of the

…and I’ll be listening to/watching this next.
    Rome: Corelli and Geminiani

An investigation into the performance style required by Corelli in his Op 5 solo violin sonatas and their arrangements as concertos by his pupil Geminiani.

To be performed by a Royal Academy of Music historical performance ensemble.

This is a part of the series of lectures and concerts, European Capitals of Music.  

… and this
    London: Music under the shadow of Handel

The Royal Academy of Music Baroque ensemble directed by Pawel Siwczak performed the following pieces to accompany Professor Hogwood's lecture:

William Boyce
    Symphony No. 4 in F major
    Allegro — Vivace ma non troppo— Gavot: Allegro

Michael Christian Festing
    Trio Sonata No. 2 in D minor

Needless to say that the lectures are not all on the subjects of Baroque/early music.

It will take all evening just to look through the list of lectures. Many thanks for pointing to the link.

Comment

Brilliant stuff thanks

This will be wonderful

In space no-one can hear you scream... but it is still a noisy Universe. We are familiar with the many stunning images of space, but these are only part of the whole human experience. This lecture takes a new approach to appreciating the Universe, through the vehicle of sound. Once we understand how sound is propagated, we can look at the how and where it can exist in space.

Comment

Thanks very much, ts - this is a wonderful source of information and illumination. I think the link should be put in the Reference Library of the forum so that it doesn't get lost when this thread fades from view.

I've been listening to this lecture this evening, by Christopher Hogwood on Fakes, Completions and the Art of Borrowing:

http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-an...t-of-borrowing

There's a good 25 minutes or so about the Mozart Requiem, and it's worth listening to the Q&A afterwards also, as he identifies the completions (and also savages the Sussmayr completion). I quite liked the Maunder continuation (what a pity the dreadful Sussmayr is the one usually played).

But isn’t it a sort of thing (musical related lectures by top expert for interested but not professional listeners) that Radio3 should be doing?
        I totally agree, doversoul. Why couldn't they simply have one of the Gresham lectures as a weekly feature, a different form of Discovering Music and the more refreshing for having different lecturers?

Comment

Gresham College Music Lectures

Details of music (and other subjects) lectures:

Investigate here: http://www.gresham.ac.uk/category/music

Browse for past lectures and clips about the 2014/15 season.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

is this the same as

?
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              is this the same as

?
              Yes. Two people suggested the link should be in the Reference Library so that it would remain there after the thread on the main forum had disappeared.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

This is indeed a very good site and often I have pointed students in the direction of lectures given by Richard J Evans and Vernon Bogdanor amongst others.

Comment

I've copied over people's individual links posted on the other thread.

Comment

Comment

Sadly no longer with us

Comment

Aged 73 ...

Comment

Working...
                        X