Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The very one...... the Redlich was where it all began for me, for both composers..... Redlich's vivid, emotional and evocative descriptions of the symphonies inspired that yearning to hear them, to seek them out on Radio 3 and LP...

How precious each single purchase, then the kid-in-the-sweetshop buzz when the Record Library opened....with scarcely believable timing, when I most needed it; it really did seem like destiny, or musical fate....

I went twice a week after school (which was always miserable, but now no longer mattered; I had an escape...) and brought home two LP sets each time in a dark blue LP-sized zipper case...

The Redlich was always with me, endlessly renewed.... it seemed no-one else ever wanted it, or many Bruckner or Mahler LPs either, which only enhanced their enchantments.
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-02-21, 03:59.

Comment

There is a new book by William Corrigan (might have spelt that wrong) published by the American Bruckner society. Apparently it's very good.
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
        There is a new book by William Corrigan (might have spelt that wrong) published by the American Bruckner society. Apparently it's very good.
        William Carragan

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
          William Carragan
          It was he who made the completion of No 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
            You can read about it here......

....and order it if you wish, for $50 + $24.70 p&p.... plus 20% VAT for UK buyers..it all mounts up doesn't it?..Oh and, only from eBay for the UK.....

Bit of a shame though, that they say there has been no general guide to all the editions and versions. Not a book-length one, no, but (as I've often mentioned here) I've relied on Griegel and Marques for a few years now...

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-02-21, 20:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
              It was he who made the completion of No 9.
              You might be surprised how many completions/sketch realisations there are...!

Carragan and the better-known SPCM have by far the most revisions, the latest 2012 SPCM revision is the version Rattle recorded and played several times with the Berlin Phil.

Comment

Just copying from the fast-moving Reading Thread for easier reference...Highly recommended for true enthusiasts!

"The New Bruckner" by Dermot Gault.

Not for newcomers to the subject, as it focusses in immense detail on the symphonic revisions, the changing of perceptions about them through the decades. A chapter on "Bruckner and his Disciples" goes into great depth about his friends in Vienna, the Schalks and others, who came to have such a profound influence upon Bruckner and his music. Later it takes up the history of the Haas and Nowak editions, and how very influential these were on conductors, and writers like Deryck Cooke and Robert Simpson and many others, leading them into wrong assumptions of many kinds....

Very well and clearly expounded, eye-opening for those who have been fascinated by Bruckner for some time, and know the music reasonably well. (And leaves no doubt at all that Bruckner wanted very flexible tempi in his works, at the conductor's discretion....this also led to his desire to make some of these explicit in the first published editions).

Meant to add - you can sample this expensive publication extensively with Look Inside on Amazon...
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-03-21, 20:37.

Comment

Great... thank you all!
                  "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
                  X