X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE Canterbury Cathedral Wed, 9th July 2014

CE Canterbury Cathedral

Order of Service:

Introit: Listen, listen, O my child (Michael Berkeley)
    Responses: Anthony Piccolo
    Psalms: 47, 48, 49 (Davy; Hurford; Walmisley)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 5: 8-24
    Magnificat: Giles Swayne
    Second Lesson: James 1:17-25
    Nunc dimittis: Holst
    Anthem: Bring us, O Lord God (Harris)
    Hymn: Let us light a candle in the darkness (Richard Shephard)

Organ Voluntary: Finale from Symphony No.6 (Widor)

David Newsholme (Assistant Organist)
    David Flood (Organist and Master of the Choristers)

Blimey. Having that Shepard hymn after the Harris will truly be going from the sublime to the ridiculous. It's songs from the shows schmaltz, really cringeworthy. The words are by the current Dean of Canterbury, if I remember correctly.
    My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

I can forgive them anything if they give the Swayne a good airing.

Comment

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
          Blimey. Having that Shepard hymn after the Harris will truly be going from the sublime to the ridiculous. It's songs from the shows schmaltz, really cringeworthy. The words are by the current Dean of Canterbury, if I remember correctly.
          Well I *do* see what you mean, but I'd rather have that once in a while than all the spiky Leighton we seem to get so often. At least I don't have to run out of the room for Shephard.....

Ardcarp summarily dismissed (something that happens often on this sub-forum it seems) my observations about the balance on the organ during the voluntary at Liverpool, but in spite of that I would maintain the organ sounded very much better this week.

Comment

THAT FINAL HYMN.................crikey! Made Karl Jenkins sound like Berio. How could they have the NERVE to programme it.

Elsewhere, very decent singing. Swayne a test piece they did pretty well, and the Holst very well.

Berkeley introit: ahem. 'The Lamb' anyone?

Comment

Ardcarp summarily dismissed (something that happens often on this sub-forum it seems) my observations about the balance on the organ during the voluntary at Liverpool
              Sorry mw963, didn't mean to be rude. Wallowing Willises aren't my favourite organ sound, but they seem appropriate to some of the Anglican repertory. I haven't heard Canterbury yet, but look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                THAT FINAL HYMN ...
                Could have come straight from The Life of Brian.
                If that's what's lurking in the light, I think I'll stay in the dark.

Comment

THAT FINAL HYMN.................crikey! Made Karl Jenkins sound like Berio. How could they have the NERVE to programme it.

Elsewhere, very decent singing. Swayne a test piece they did pretty well, and the Holst very well.

Berkeley introit: ahem. 'The Lamb' anyone?
                  Quite so.

Loved the Harris. I had the privilege of singing it in the early 60s with Harris himself present and it still gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.

Comment

Yes, sorry, must add thanks for the Harris.

Comment

THAT FINAL HYMN.................crikey! ...Berkeley introit: ahem. 'The Lamb' anyone?
                      The hymn was a bit, er, different. Berkeley definitely seemed to be "lambing" a little, I thought.

Comment

@ ardcarp - thanks. No problem.

Comment

Best I've heard Canterbury in a long time - well done to all! The Swayne (often) coupled with the Holst work really well together imho, because of rather than despite their huge stylistic difference. When is that 'instrument' going to be rebuilt? Give me Liverpool any day.

Comment

Just heard it. A very fine CE indeed, characterised by a confident and 'traditional' head-voice treble sound. Is this coming back into fashion? The variety of music was great too, and all directed with musicality. (OK most cathedrals have mannered psalm singing!) The Holst Nunc is a great piece and (as someone has already said) a big change in style from Swayne, which is. IMO unique in the Anglican repertory. Maybe someone ought to write a Nunc based on, say, a Bulgarian shepherd call, that would make a fitting partner. Anyway a great CE Canterbury...impressive.

Comment

Working...
                            X