• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Choral Vespers Wednesday, 17th Sept 2014

Choral Vespers
    Recorded in Neresheim Abbey, Southern Germany.
    The Royal Academy of Music Chamber Choir

Order of Service:

Introit: Justorum animae (Lassus)
    Psalms 110, 113, 122, 117 (Chant; Ortiz)
    Reading: Wisdom 10: 9-13
    Responsorium: O viridissima virga (Hildegard of Bingen)
    Homily: The Sub-Prior Revd Fr Gregor Hammes OSB
    Office Hymn: Jesu, the virgins' crown (Chant; Matthew Martin)
    Magnificat octavi toni (Fischer; chant)
    Lord's Prayer: Farmer
    Anthem: Selig sind die Toten (Schütz)
    Hymn: Komm Herr, segne uns (Trautwein)

Organ Voluntary: 'Little' Praeludium in E minor (Bruhns)

Celebrant: The Very Revd Prior Fr Albert Knebel OSB

Organists: Joseph Beech, Peter Holder, Michael Papadopoulos
    Conductor: Patrick Russill
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Today@3.30 p.m.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Listening to the psalms, I was reminded of a discussion on a thread here - I can't remember which one - about the practice of pausing for quite a long time in the middle of each verse, while typically almost overlapping the (antiphonal) end of each verse with the beginning of the next.

Someone told me at the weekend that the late great Mary Berry claimed to have discovered a document of the C12 0r C13 originating from St Albans that stated that the pause in the middle of the verse should be long enough to recite a Pater noster.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
        Late Member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        Someone told me at the weekend that the late great Mary Berry claimed to have discovered a document of the C12 0r C13 originating from St Albans that stated that the pause in the middle of the verse should be long enough to recite a Pater noster.
        What, the whole thing? Surely not. Or just say those two words, perhaps. I've heard it said that the gap should be long enought to say the words 'Hail Mary' twice. Or 'gin and tonic' twice, according to preference.
        My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I've heard it called the 'Ave Maria' pause. But whatever, I felt it was perfectly judged today....not ridiculously overdone as it sometimes is.

What a bright and focused choral sound, enhanced by those incredible acoustics. It came over as slightlybass-light but this might have been my equipment. I felt the singers were thoroughly at home with the 'Catholic' way of doing things, and din't sound like Amglicans feeling their way.

A really lovely choral vespers.

BTW Did anyone find, in the familiar Farmer Lord's Prayer, the minor third on "in earth" a bit surprising?
          Last edited by ardcarp; 17-09-14, 23:27. Reason: an afterthought

Comment

• Finzi4ever
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            BTW Did anyone find, in the familiar Farmer Lord's Prayer, the minor third on "in earth" a bit surprising?
            Yes, but what is the authority for the major 3rd in the mss?

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
              Late Member
              • Dec 2010

The only source for Farmer's Lord's Prayer is Thomas East's The Whole Book of Psalms of 1592. At the point in question, the print specifies F sharp in the soprano part and, one beat later, in the alto part. Both notes were sung as F natural for some reason. The same thing happened at 'Into temp-(tation)', where both soprano and alto parts were sung as F natural, despite F sharp being marked in the source. Odd.
              My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• Wolsey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                Miles Coverdale is right. The phrase 'Hail, Mary' (twice) was precisely what Mary Berry instructed us when I sang in her Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge during my undergraduate days there.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Then the person who told me misremembered...

Comment

Working...
                  X