Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford 24.xi.10

This new Choir board was looking a bit lonely, as the only one remaining threadless, so just thought I'd give a mention to today's broadcast of Evensong from Christ Church.

Although Oxford psalm-singing is often somewhat perplexing, I enjoyed the sensitivity and control shown in this evening's portion of Ps 119. I'm afraid I have to agree with daktari1 and ardcarp (on the original Choir board) about the Goodall Canticles. Perhaps they sound slightly more appropriate as sung in Marlborough College Chapel than in Christ Church Cathedral, but I wouldn't mind if I never heard them again. Is was a relief to hear some of the Walton after that limp stuff, but unfortunately I had to leave for choir practice! (Will catch up later.) Great to hear ChCh again on such good form. Many thanks.

Thanks, K. Not heard it yet, but happy to post this in goodwill to keep you company.

Let's hope that Draco will be able to continue his regular info posts!

bws to all,

S-S!

Comment

listened for personal reasons, found it cool and precise .... it is such a small cathedral, the few services i have attended were really quite thrilling, so 'up close' to the choir ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

'the few services i have attended were really quite thrilling, so 'up close' to the choir ...'

Absolutely, aCDJ.
        Will never forget the regular experience of hearing this choir offer up weekday Evensong 'anthems' such as 'Jesu, Meine Freude' (JSB) under Simon Preston back in the late '70s, from just a few feet away. That dry acoustic made them work very hard, but although SP seemed to terrify everyone, the results were invariably musically overwhelming, even including those oddly distorted psalms.
        Bws, K.

Comment

It's great to have found a new board so speedily - thanks to all concerned. I too concur on the dreary canticles and I fear in case HG (whom I admire in many other ways) is chosen to write something for the forthcoming royal nuptials. That said, the Chch ch. sang superbly today and their ensemble was generally spot on. I forbear to mention the excessively mannered end of quarters in the psalms, but each to their own and at least their Gloria pointing is sound!

Comment

I love the Walton, in fact I prefer all his small-scale choral works to Belshazzar

Comment

I'm just saying hello too! Hercule, see my comments about Walton on the dying days of the old boards!

Comment

...Thanks to French Frank for starting these new Boards! I heard some of CE from
                Christchurch Oxford- I felt the Goodall Canticles could have worked better without
                continually repeating the text- did'nt hear the Psalms but felt Lord's Prayer very
                mannered.Some good young Voices though!

Comment

..went yesterday [28.xi.2010] to the Advent Service at Christ Church; the Choir progress around the Cathedral and we found ourselves thrre feet in front of them for Virga Jesse floruit, music by Bruckner .... it was one of those transcendent experiences ... i am becoming very persuaded by Bruckner's sacred music ....

[another polished performance from the Senior Organ Scholar, Mr Sheen; and especially from his winger Mr Heighway who played for most of the service]
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Crikey! I'm not quite sure how I got here but I seem to have landed along with several other nomads!
                    Still reckon the Durufle was the best bit of this one but, as I said on the 'dark side', it's really just a matter of personal taste.

Bws to everyone, old and new.
                    Liz

Comment

...Nice to hear from you again Lizzie!

Comment

I visited Christ Church last year and found the chanting very contrived. Several recent broadcasts have made me wonder why Dr Darlington adopts this style. They used to chant from "The Psalter" in Preson and Grier's time and chants set were well chosen. I remember several broadcasts (and several visits) during that time and recall that the psalms were the highlight of the service. Goodall Canticles (presumably written for a school chapel choir) did not impress. Christ Church and Goodall seem to have a close relationship these days sharing the same agent and being involved in first performances of recent works. Thank God for the Durufle and a sparkling, polished performance from Mr Sheen.

Comment

Working...
                        X