Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew Carter at 75

There's to be a 75th Birthday Concert in York this weekend with the Chanticleer Singers, directed by Jane Sturmneit and A.C. himself. But it is the superb voice of his daughter, Elinor - mezzo-soprano soloist (also member of the Monteverdi Choir) that will make this celebration of Andrew Carter's works particularly special.

Andrew Carter is revered in the York area and in North America, but how widespread is his reputation in the rest of the UK?

He took a session on a choral course (in Yorkshire) I attended as a young man - almost 40 years ago. A delightful man and director. I bought a vinyl CD of the Chapter House Choir as a result (probably among the small number I retained - but inevitably packed away at the moment (the fate of many a vinyl rump collection surely?).

Always good to sing one of his pieces/arrangements - usually a carol. Good to hear he is is still with us!

Comment

A few months ago I had to accompany his multi-movement "Horizons" for a community choir. An impressive work. I enjoyed it very much indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
        A few months ago I had to accompany his multi-movement "Horizons" for a community choir. An impressive work. I enjoyed it very much indeed.
        Andrew Carter will be conducting movements from Horizons himself in the birthday concert.

Comment

but how widespread is his reputation in the rest of the UK?
          Chiefly known in the UK as an arranger, I think. His arrangement of O come. O come Emmanuel is wonderful, especially that descant in the last verse.

Comment

Such a huge variety of music from one composer. A memorable evening.

Comment

Working...
            X