Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and why, I wonder, do people "queue up to say how much they hate The Choir, or that Eric Whitacre is a terrible composer, or that they don't like the BBC Singers"?

Perhaps it is because their views are justly held.

Comment

Well, I wasn't thinking so much of the BBC Singers when I wrote, but more of the sort of community choir the Choir now gives exposure to - which it seems we generally approve of (witness this thread), but don't want the BBC to waste its time on.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... and why, I wonder, do people "queue up to say how much they hate The Choir, or that Eric Whitacre is a terrible composer, or that they don't like the BBC Singers"?

Perhaps it is because their views are justly held.
        Perhaps they are not. In any case it's very boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel Jackson View Post
          Perhaps they are not. In any case it's very boring.
          ... ah well, if you find the views of the, presumably numerous, people who "queue up" to criticize "boring"....

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... ah well, if you find the views of the, presumably numerous, people who "queue up" to criticize "boring"....
            Don't you find it boring to read the exact same objections and criticisms over and over again?

Comment

... I might find it boring. If the objections and criticisms occurred "over and over again" - well, that might give me pause, and make me reflect whether there was something of substance behind such a number of criticisms. I wouldn't dismiss it in the way you choose to.

Comment

Well, yes, Gabriel, (message 13) choirs that don't enter competitions don't get ranked - ditto if you don't enter your local half marathon or darts match. Not sure of your point.

Or do you mean it's not an outstanding achievement because lots of better youth choirs don't compete ?

Or that competitions involving music are bad/pointless... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
                  Well, yes, Gabriel, (message 13) choirs that don't enter competitions don't get ranked - ditto if you don't enter your local half marathon or darts match. Not sure of your point.

Or do you mean it's not an outstanding achievement because lots of better youth choirs don't compete ?

Or that competitions involving music are bad/pointless... ?
                  None of those Oldcrofter! Just that there are some fantastic choirs out there who don't appear in those rankings.

Comment

Working...
                  X