• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE Durham Cathedral Wed, 12th November 2014

CE Durham Cathedral

Order of Service:

Responses: Francis Jackson
    Psalms 65, 66 & 67 (Taylor, Gray, Camidge)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 6
    Canticles: John Casken
    Second Lesson: Matthew 5: 21-37
    Anthem: Jesu, the very thought of thee (Cecilia McDowall)
    Hymn: The sun is sinking fast (Binham)

Organ Voluntary: Sacrificium (Casken)

Francesca Massey (Sub-Organist)
    James Lancelot (Master of the Choristers and Organist)

That was an enterprising choice of music, tackled without fear! The Casken Nunc seemed especially tricky, I thought. There were some lovely moments in the McDowell, a few high 'floated' treble notes which were perhaps a little forced elsewhere. But this was a taxing sing, so well done all at Durham. Superb playing from Francesca!

Comment

'Enterprising'? Hmm, yes, very. Tricky, yes, very. Best use of very willing, very talented choir? Hmm. Good listening? Debatable. With that kind of music, I suppose you have to mike the choir close or it turns into undifferentiated mush in a big acoustic? Not my taste.

McDowall anthem had its moments, well sung, and after the Casken must have felt like a comfort zone.

Casken voluntary was gymnastic, exciting sonically, but structurally - not sure. Guy seems not to know when to put the final full stop, IMO. Like the 'Amens' in the canticles, maybe?

Comment

John Casken is a quite well-known composer:

That his music is not of the Whitacre/Lauridsen tendency is a big plus for me!

Comment

<< not of the Whitacre/Lauridsen tendency! >>

Oh, yes, certainly agree with THAT!

I thought the eclectic nature of the McDowall was a good contrast.

Comment

Another wonderful example of how superb our Cathedral organists and sub-organists are. I certainly preferred the Casken voluntary to the Casken canticles but also enjoyed the McDowall anthem very much.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              'Enterprising'? Hmm, yes, very. Tricky, yes, very. Best use of very willing, very talented choir? Hmm. Good listening? Debatable. With that kind of music, I suppose you have to mike the choir close or it turns into undifferentiated mush in a big acoustic? Not my taste.

McDowall anthem had its moments, well sung, and after the Casken must have felt like a comfort zone.

Casken voluntary was gymnastic, exciting sonically, but structurally - not sure. Guy seems not to know when to put the final full stop, IMO. Like the 'Amens' in the canticles, maybe?
              Who's Guy? Do you mean Francesca Massey?

Comment

I think Draco meant that the piece was written to end in an undemonstrative way.

Comment

Working...
                X