CE St John's College, Cambridge
    Ash Wednesday

Order of Service:

Responses: Smith
    Psalm 51 (Allegri)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 1:10-18
    Canticles: Sixth Service (Weelkes)
    Second Lesson: Luke 15:11-end
    Anthem: Afflicti pro peccatis nostris (Byrd)
    Hymn: Lord Jesus, think on me (Southwell)

Organ Voluntary: Fantasia in C minor BWV 562 (Bach)

Joseph Wicks, Junior Organ Scholar
    Andrew Nethsingha, Director of Music
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder: Today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• lovechoralmusic

Weelkes Sixth?! Shame it's not Byrd Second or the Gibbons they did a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly it has some lovely solos, though. Another chance for Nethsingha to showcase his countertenor section

Comment

• lovechoralmusic

Wow what an Allegri! Boys were of course wonderful but so good to hear it sung full-bodied and expressively for oncentrerather than the insipid prissy versions you hear so often. Also restored my faith in Weelkes. Did I count 4 diffrent altos? Wow spoilt for choice, though a shame the cheeky first one didn't make another appearance. And gosh what a mature bass!! Surely he can't be under 30! I'll stop raving now. Very enjoyable

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Not sure it was quite as ecstatic as that!

THIS time, the John's acoustic was caught much more accurately by the engineers. We commented on it last Advent Sunday. Actually, it can be a pretty unyielding space to sing into when there is a big crowd in.

Trebles in decent fettle. I'd like to congratulate the 2nd treble in the solo group - resolute, rock solid, and 2nd treb is too often overlooked. BTW, was it just to my ears, or did they edge gradually sharp as the conversation between the groups developed? Bass soloist for me was big without doing much more than give it stick and not much shape, but certainly a voice with much potential to improve

Oh dear......I really do find the John's singing of the interleaved plain chant so uncomplicatedly just a bit public school, with not much shape. I suppose I prefer my plain chant a bit more prayerful and perhaps a little more attentive to the language. and ....well, ....less strident

Yes, this CE was a 'benefit match' for the countertenors who had a lot to do. The Weelkes was a nice choice to run against the weight of Ps 51 and the penitential Byrd.

Did you notice how the cleric ALWAYS dropped her voice about two octaves and many decibels at the end of almost every phrase, such that the last word was almost lost and it became a kind of irritating mannerism in her voice I've noticed over a number of years. In the live service onsite you wouldn't notice it at all probably - on radio, however, it really does notice.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Did you notice how the cleric ALWAYS dropped her voice about two octaves and many decibels at the end of almost every phrase
            That is indeed a most annoying mannerism....but we have to be thankful for....(oh shut up, me).

Enjoyed the CE, especially the canticles.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I've noticed before - it's only ever the women who do these annoying things.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

It isn't.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

If we must hear Rutter's Miserere, (and it seems we must!) perhaps we could at least have the chant on which the original was based - Tonus Peregrinus.

Yes, a very healthy choral sound here, but perhaps the back row could be a little more cultured, especially in the chant, which suffered from a rather stiff style and at least one voice's occluded vowels. I think I would rather hear it on a monotone (entirely authentic sack cloth and ashes) or if the correct chant (Peregrinus) is used, give it to a solo tenor.

The quartet was very fine, though!

Poor old Gregorio, I don't blame him - he didn't know what he was getting into, but Josquin, who wrote just "what he pleased", left us this masterpiece.

Perhaps a native of the Vermandois region of Picardy, he was a singer at Milan Cathedral in 1459, remaining there until December 1472. By July 1474 he was on...

Happy Lent. Let the misery begin!

Oh, and I had no problem with the minister's vocal style.
                  Last edited by Guest; 20-02-15, 00:39.

Comment

• chitreb
                    • Nov 2012

Not much not to like here. Some gorgeous and well-balanced sounds throughout. Dare I say that I much prefer the current treble sound to that of a year or so ago?

Comment

Working...
                    X