• Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE King's College, Cambridge. Wed, 4th March

CE King's College, Cambridge

Order of Service:

Organ Prelude: The Gift (Judith Bingham)

Introit: Be still (Sally Beamish) - first performance, new commission
    Responses: Leighton
    Psalms 22, 23 (S Wesley, Smart, Goss)
    First Lesson: Genesis 44:18-34
    Canticles: Collegium Regale (Judith Bingham)
    Second Lesson: Hebrews 2: 10-18
    Anthem: Vertue (Judith Weir)
    Hymn: Thine for ever! God of love (Newington)

Organ Voluntary: Ettrick Banks (Judith Weir)

Tom Etheridge and Richard Gowers, Organ Scholars
    Stephen Cleobury, Director of Music
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

.... as part of women composers week I guess. Gosh, I'm so 'in the loop'.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Correct.

Comment

• bach736
        • Nov 2010

I'm not sure where Kenneth Leighton fits into this theme.
        How about Kerensa Briggs' responses for instance?

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by bach736 View Post
          I'm not sure where Kenneth Leighton fits into this theme.
          They are well known, which is important when much of the rest of the service is contemporary. I adore Leighton's Preces & Responses, and we have certainly heard a lot of them recently, but they can be forgiven for taking the easy option here.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I agree entirely about the Leigton Responses. They've almost become a staple.... the latterday 'Father' Smith. I would like to hear Howells' Responses occasionally. Any DoMs looking in, please take note!

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

The Howells set is gorgeous, but difficult and arguably over-written. And I say that as an avowed devotee of his music, but less is more in Responses. There are many more, easier, less well-known sets. Shorter House has published two volumes recently.

Be assured, though, professional choir directors don't take any notice of suggestions made on this forum!

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I did have my tongue slightly in cheek.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
                  Be assured, though, professional choir directors don't take any notice of suggestions made on this forum!
                  More likely their choirs aren't up to doing the Howells responses!

VCC

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post

VCC
                    A predictable response, my feline friend! Actually, all the professional church choirs I work with in London do them extremely well and not infrequently. They were part of the sight-reading test for deputies at Westminster Abbey when I joined the list. No problem for me, I am pleased to say, but certainly to be approached with care.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-03-15, 08:34.

Comment

• light_calibre_baritone

VCC
                      How rude! But I bet St Albans can do them perfectly...

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by light_calibre_baritone View Post
                        How rude! But I bet St Albans can do them perfectly...
                        Unfortunately they don't do them.

Probably more to do with lack of rehearsal time than anything else.

I don't particularly have Simon's apparent high regard for professional musicians in the service of the church.

Many would do well to listen to suggestions from outside their own claustrophobic little world. It might stop them from becoming stale in their choice of music if nothing else, especially if they have been in post for years.

VCC.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

I don't particularly have Simon's apparent high regard for professional musicians in the service of the church.

Many would do well to listen to suggestions from outside their own claustrophobic little world. It might stop them from becoming stale in their choice of music if nothing else, especially if they have been in post for years.VCC.
                          I'm still laughing at this - funniest thing I've ever read here!

Brain surgeons and plumbers too?

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Trying to keep things calm, folks, I am reminded of adverts that Lincoln Cathedral used to place in the local press for (e.g.) 'a bass lay clerk who can also undertake plumbing work in the cathedral'.

On the subject of Howells' Responses, I tried to get Barry Rose to do them once and he said they were too long and complicated to fit into a normal evensong...rather reflecting Simon's view of them in #7

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
                              I'm still laughing at this - funniest thing I've ever read here!

Brain surgeons and plumbers too?
                              Simon

Cathedral musicians on the same level as brain surgeons and plumbers that is hilarious.

Come on, some DOMs do get very stale in their choice of music for services. There are many reasons for this no doubt, not least an element of laziness in my opinion. I'm sure that they could easily teach the choristers to sing a difficult piece but take the easy option quite often - human nature being what it is.

What is wrong with a member of the congregation, or a member of this forum for that matter, suggesting some items they could do for a change. Are DOMs so arrogant that they despise people's humble opinions. Mind you this is a problem in the church generally. Clericalism is a bane. It is also ,of course, the problem in politics with all the professional politicians we have.

No, the professionals are not the fount of all knowledge and wisdom.

Never mind the Howells' Responses, I wouldn't trust the survival of the great
                              Anglican choral tradition to professional musicians.

VCC

Comment

Working...
                              X