• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Rebecca Clarke on Women's Hour...

...well, not in person, but she was discussed in respect of her viola playing and chamber composition. She also wrote a lot of choral music; in fact Gonville and Caius recorded all of it a few years ago:

We seem to have been blessed with fine women choral composers in the UK. There are three Elizabeths for a start (Maconchy, Lutyens and Poston) and from the present generation, the three featured in Kings CE this week (two Judiths!) and I'm a bit of a fan of Roxana Panufnik.

There are more which I can't think of at the mo'. Prompt, someone....?
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Thea Musgrave, Nicola Lefanu, ...

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Rebecca Clarke's viola sonata is a masterpiece .

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        ...well, not in person, but she was discussed in respect of her viola playing and chamber composition. She also wrote a lot of choral music; in fact Gonville and Caius recorded all of it a few years ago:

We seem to have been blessed with fine women choral composers in the UK. There are three Elizabeths for a start (Maconchy, Lutyens and Poston) and from the present generation, the three featured in Kings CE this week (two Judiths!) and I'm a bit of a fan of Roxana Panufnik.

Ethel Smyth's Mass in D is a fine work IMO.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Rebecca Clarke's viola sonata is a masterpiece .
          W....ell, somewhat Debussy-derivative, if my memory serves me. But there's nothing wrong with that, Debussy being my favourite composer!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Somewhere between Debussy and RVW - but either of those composers would have been proud to have their name associated with Music of such quality:

I Impetuoso- Poco agitatoII VivaceIII Adagio - Agitato - Comodo:quasi pastorale - Quasi fantasia - AgitatoIlario Gastaldello - viola Marina Baudoux ...
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Somewhere between Debussy and RVW - but either of those composers would have been proud to have their name associated with Music of such quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxtbFlnxiMk
              RVW & Debussy is exactly my take on it too. English post-romantic impressionism

Comment

Working...
              X