X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE: Chapel of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge [L] Wed, 22nd Nov ‘23

CE: Chapel of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge [L]

Order of Service:

Introit: Da pacem, Domine (Jacquet de Mantua)
    Responses: Nico Muhly
    Office hymn: A Hymn for St Cecilia (Howells)
    Psalms 108, 109 (Russell, Smart, Goodenough)
    First Lesson: Zechariah 8 vv.1-13
    Canticles: Sumsion in A
    Second Lesson: Mark 13 vv.3-8
    Anthem: Cantantibus organis (Jacquet de Mantua)
    Voluntary: Fugue in E major BWV 566 (Bach)

Luca Myers (Organist)
    David Skinner (Director of Music)

Unusual for the office hymn, but why not? It's usually sung as an anthem, when the priest's introduction can go very wrong. Our Precentor gave a lengthy talk on the Hymn to St Cecilia, not of course by Howells but by Britten, before we sang the Howells. It pays to look more closely at the Music List!

Comment

There is also the momentary uncertainty of how to pronounce 'wound' the first time you sing through this piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post

Unusual for the office hymn, but why not? It's usually sung as an anthem, when the priest's introduction can go very wrong. Our Precentor gave a lengthy talk on the Hymn to St Cecilia, not of course by Howells but by Britten, before we sang the Howells. It pays to look more closely at the Music List!
        O Glory! Why do the clergy so often take such little interest in the music that forms an integral part of the liturgy? As I type, I realise that this question may best be left unanswered.

Comment

Reminder: today. @ 4 p.m.
          Last edited by DracoM; 22-11-23, 10:58.

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
            There is also the momentary uncertainty of how to pronounce 'wound' the first time you sing through this piece.
            so true!

Comment

A beautifully sung service. The quite dry acoustic leaves nowhere to hide and took some getting used to, but on the plus side everything was clear with excellent engineering. A pity the sackbuts and friends had so little to do, I was just enjoying the change of accompaniment when they stopped. The reader of lesson one was a model of how to deliver a reading slowly and clearly, commanding attention. I remember hearing this student reading a lesson at Trinity as a choir member there; the experience sticks in the memory.

Comment

OK, some slightly wobbly tuning perhaps? More concert than service perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  More concert than service perhaps?
                  I think you must have inside knowledge DracoM as RT lists Sunday’s repeat as a recital.

Comment

Working...
                  X