A Service for Advent with Carols [R] Chapel of St John’s College, Cambridge 3.xii.23

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Service for Advent with Carols [R] Chapel of St John’s College, Cambridge 3.xii.23

A Service for Advent with Carols [R]
    Chapel of St John’s College, Cambridge

At: 3 p.m.

Introit: There is no rose (Gerald Hendrie)
    Opening Sentence
    Processional Hymn: Come thou redeemer of the earth (Puer nobis nascitur, desc Christopher Gray)

Bidding Prayer
    Carol: Deus, Deus meus (Roxanna Panufnik)

I The Message of Advent
    Sentence and Collect
    Antiphons: O Sapientia
    and O Adonaï
    First Lesson: Mark 13 vv.32-36
    Motet: Vigilate (Byrd)
    Second Lesson: Isaiah 11 vv.1-5
    Carol: A tender shoot (Kerensa Briggs)

II The Word of God
    Sentence and Collect
    Antiphons: O Radix Jesse and O Clavis David
    Third Lesson: Hebrews 4 vv.12-16
    Carol: This is the truth (Trad., arr. Vaughan Williams and Christopher Robinson)
    Fourth Lesson: Luke 4 vv. 14-21
    Hymn: O come, O come Emmanuel (Veni Emmanuel, descant David Hill)

III The Prophetic Call
    Sentence and Collect
    Antiphons: O Oriens and O Rex Gentium
    Fifth Lesson: Malachi 3 vv. 1-7
    Motet: Fuit homo missus a Deo (Praetorius)
    Sixth Lesson: Matthew 3 vv. 1-11
    Hymn: On Jordan’s bank the Baptist’s cry (Winchester New, descant Christopher Robinson)

IV The God-Bearer
    Sentence and Collect
    Antiphon: O Emmanuel
    Anthem: Bogoroditse Dyevo (Rachmaninoff)
    Seventh Lesson: Luke 1 vv. 26-38
    Magnificat: The Truro Service (Russell Pascoe)
    Eighth Lesson: The Annunciation (Edwin Muir)
    Anthem: The Hidden Light (Joanna Marsh) – New commission

The Christmas Collect
    Carol: Noel – Verbum caro factum est (Tamsin Jones)
    Hymn: Of the Father’s heart begotten (Divinum mysterium, arr. Willcocks)
    The College Prayer and The Blessing

Organ Voluntary: In dir ist Freude, BWV 615 (Bach)

Alexander Robson (Herbert Howells Organ Scholar)
    Christopher Gray (Director of Music)

The Revd Canon Dr Mark Oakley (Dean)
    The Revd Andrew Hammond (Chaplain)

Recorded 26 November

Mr Gray's first and the Revd Oakley's last Advent carol service from SJC. Dr Oakley will be the next Dean of Southwark Cathedral.

Nice to have some Cornish representation (Pascoe Magnificat).

Comment

Looking forward to this.

Possibly also of interest...
      On Sunday 17th December 10 am, St John's is also providing the Netherlands slot(!) on the EBU "Christmas around Europe" day from the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam
      The annual celebration of Christmas music from all around Europe.

Comment

Goodness, Advent already. I don't know where this year's gone...

Thanks for the list. I'll be 'tuning in' as we used to say.

Comment

I'd been so looking forward to this. I now find it's RECORDED!! I'll find something else to do at 3pm
          Last edited by S H Otley; 03-12-23, 13:29. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by S H Otley View Post
            I'd been so looking forward to this. I now find it's RECORDED!! I'll find something else to do at 3pm 🙄
            Not at 3pm, but you could join the LIVE streaming of York's Advent Procession at 5:30pm instead.

Free, in-person tickets for the Advent Procession are now FULLY BOOKED. Please

I heard that the Precentor (currently on sabbatical) is moving to SJC; presumably as the new Dean?

Comment

Originally posted by S H Otley View Post
              I'd been so looking forward to this. I now find it's RECORDED!! I'll find something else to do at 3pm
              I have such difficulty understanding this approach. What’s your thinking behind this? (We know by now why it has to be recorded - term has ended, so the students may well not be around any more)… is it the religious aspect of the proceedings which means that you don’t feel you can participate unless it’s live?
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Personally, I think it's a bit bizarre that all the Oxbridge colleges hold their Advent services before Advent. I know the reason why but couldn't they hold off for another week?
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I missed this (which I usually listen to, John's currently being my favourite Oxbridge choir) as I went to the Manchester Camerata's Messiah at Gorton Monastery this afternoon - generally very good, although the tenor soloist was not to my taste and three numbers including the pifa were cut. Is the John's broadcast, with a new Director of Music, up to the standards we had from Andrew Nethsingha? I may try to listen on Sounds but these services are very much for the occasion (Advent Sunday).
                  Last edited by CallMePaul; 05-12-23, 10:14.

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                    I missed this (which I usually listen to, John's currently being my favourite Oxbridge choir) as I went to the Manchester Camerata's Messiah at Gorton Monastery this afternoon - generally very good, although the tenor soloist was not to my taste and three numbers including the pifa were cut. Is the John's broadcast, with a new Director of Music, up to the standards we had from Andrew Nethsingha? I may try to listen on Sounds but these concerts are very much for the occasion (Advent Sunday).
                    If you want a concert how about the Amsterdam version on 17th December, posted earlier? Otherwise I think perhaps it is fair to consider that what was broadcast today was regarded as a "service for Advent" by those participating?

Comment

Was it a slightly different Johns sound under Christopher Gray?

just a little sweeter maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I have such difficulty understanding this approach. What’s your thinking behind this? (We know by now why it has to be recorded - term has ended, so the students may well not be around any more)… is it the religious aspect of the proceedings which means that you don’t feel you can participate unless it’s live?
                        Got it in one. Precisely that. Worship is in the here and now.

Comment

In a recent Cathedral Music interview, while discussing the influence of choir directors on their choirs Andrew Nethsingha said it's noticeable how much the sound of SJC has changed since he left.

Presumably such a change would be more noticeable to AN than anyone else, so it's interesting to note what differences others might have heard.

Comment

Service nicely 'managed'. Boys sound very different. Less chest and more head, a deal less passion and attack?
                            BUT my prob was where on earth were the mikes? Weird balance now and then maybe?

Comment

This was wonderful. I listened via my mobile phone and headphones on a long train journey through bleak, wintry countryside and it lifted my spirits.

Comment

Working...
                              X