Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lurgi at Lincoln?

I attended evensong at Lincoln yesterday (Sunday 10th). There were only 4 boys on each side, and they did their not inconsiderable best but were often overwhelmed. I was also disappointed that though the setting of the Canticles was billed as Howells New College service, they actually did Coll Reg. Is this down to sickness, does anyone know? Or do choirs sometimes rest trebles on rotation in the run-up to Christmas?

'Tis the season for lurgies: I don't think Evensongs with single-digit trebles are all that uncommon this time of year. Then again, it looks like there were, in particular, no probationers in at Lincoln on Sunday, so perhaps they did have a rest day. On Lincoln livestreams from earlier this week, things and people seem much healthier: at a quick glance, I count 14 boys (of whom four are probationers) and between 15 and 18 girls (of whom, again, four are probationers).

Completely immaterially: I'd thought that only Lincoln's seniormost 'Choristers'—as opposed to their more junior 'Burghersh Chanters'—wore copes in services, but it looks like everyone save the probationers gets a cozy cloak when it gets cold enough.

Comment

I think that St John's Cambridge used to wear cloaks in winter, but perhaps only to walk around outside. One New Year I sang services at Ely with a visiting choir, and a choir member with connexions to St John's Choir School borrowed a whole lot of them for us. But if you weren't used to singing in one they were difficult to wear and sing in because of the heavy weight on the shoulders.
      Last edited by mopsus; 11-12-23, 16:12.

Comment

To follow up on this, following your post, I’ve reviewed quite a number of live-streamed services at Lincoln. It has to be said that the music seems to be in a problematic state. I noticed too, that there were only eight boys singing in the Cathedral Carol Services

The regular offerings of evensongs sound unrefined. Psalms are incredibly slow, but at the same time, often not together.

One is left to wonder if there is an ulterior motive with the boys - perhaps they are heading to a mixed choir.

Either way, it’s in a concerning state. - check out the livestreams…
        Last edited by Michael Scott; 12-01-24, 19:04.

Comment

From the BBC website:
          Director of music Aric Prentice says recruiting new choristers will "future-proof" the choirs.

Comment

I attended Evensong at Lincoln last Thursday, Eve of Candlemas. There were about 16 girl choristers on the top line and an excellent sound they made. Stanford in G with confident solos. Keep up the good work!!

Comment

Working...
            X