X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compline 9.30 p.m. 11.iii.2024

Lent 4

Compline

A reflective service of night prayer for the fourth week of Lent from St Thomas' Church Kirkholt, Rochdale.
    With words and music for the end of the day, sung by the Diocese of Manchester Choral Scholars.

Introit: Lent Prose (Plainsong)
    Preces (Plainsong)
    Hymn: Before the ending of the day (Plainsong)
    Psalm 28 (Plainsong)
    Reading: Hebrews 13 vv.20-21
    Responsory: Into thy hands, O Lord (Plainsong)
    Canticle: Nunc dimittis (Plainsong)
    Anthem: Drop, drop, slow tears (Gibbons, arr. Ledger)

Andrew Earis (conductor)

Beautifully sung service.

Comment

Yes indeed, v.nicely sung, but for me, 'compline' has always - from days in my so-called education - been sung by men.
      Sad upbringing, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Yes indeed, v.nicely sung, but for me, 'compline' has always - from days in my so-called education - been sung by men.
        Sad upbringing, maybe?
        Surely nuns sang it in their convents, Draco? Doesn't mean you heard it though, if they were in a closed community!

Comment

I could have done without the CE style introductory talk - but at least I remembered to listen this time, having missed weeks 2 and 3.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            I could have done without the CE style introductory talk - but at least I remembered to listen this time, having missed weeks 2 and 3.
            I thought it was quite reasonable, summarising the music, who was singing and where from.

Comment

<< Surely nuns sang it in their convents, Draco? Doesn't mean you heard it though, if they were in a closed community! >>

Exactly = men only where I was! Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                << Surely nuns sang it in their convents, Draco? Doesn't mean you heard it though, if they were in a closed community! >>

Exactly = men only where I was! Sorry
                I must admit (confess?) that this CD took some getting used to.

Ego Sum Resurrectio. Naxos: 8553192. Buy CD or download online. Aurora Surgit, Alessio Randon

Comment

Working...
                X