No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compline Lent 5 18.iii.2024 ~ 9 p.m.

Lent 5 Monday, 18th March 2024 @ 9p.m.

A reflective service of night prayer for the fifth week of Lent from the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Englefield Green.
    The choir of Royal Holloway, University of London

Introit: O nata lux (Vytautas Miskinis)
    Preces (Plainsong)
    Hymn: Te lucis ante terminum (David Bednall)
    Psalm 139 vv.1-11 (Plainsong)
    Reading: Zechariah 12 v.10
    Responsory: Into thy hands, O Lord (Plainsong)
    Canticle: The Friday Service (Nunc dimittis) (George Arthur)

Anthem: Mother of God, here I stand (Taverer)

Rupert Gough (conductor)

Another gentle 1/2 hour of calm and contemplation. These programmes have all been by different choirs but the effect on me has been the same.

Comment

These restful services are uninterrupted by the CE intrusions of the opening tourist guides (which always remind my other half of the introductions on episodes of I'm sorry I haven't a Clue) or the explanations of what a psalm is. Maybe this is because they fit with the current Radio 3 aim of providing calming music to destress to.

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
        These restful services are uninterrupted by the CE intrusions of the opening tourist guides (which always remind my other half of the introductions on episodes of I'm sorry I haven't a Clue) or the explanations of what a psalm is. Maybe this is because they fit with the current Radio 3 aim of providing calming music to destress to.
        Wasn’t the first programme on the Third Programme ‘How to listen’? Partly tongue in cheek.
        I was initially alarmed as I read your penultimate word as ‘distress’!

Comment

Working...
        X