X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE All Saints, Kingston, London [R] Choir of Tiffin School 10.4.24

CE All Saints, Kingston, London [R]
    Choir of Tiffin School

Introit: Now the Green Blade (Simon Lindley)
    Responses: Joanna Forbes L’Estrange
    Office hymn: Love’s redeeming work is done (Wesley)
    Psalms 53, 54 (Goss)
    First Lesson: Hosea 5:15-6:6
    Canticles: Stanford in B flat
    Second Lesson: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
    Anthem: Te Deum (Howells)
    Blessing: May the Grace of Christ our Saviour (David Nield)

Voluntary: Fantasia in D Minor (Stanford)

Richard Gowers (Organist)
    James Day (Director of Music)

That should be worth listening to!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher View Post
      Indeed. I've put it in my diary with a big reminder of the time change - got caught out this week, fortunately before I'd missed too much. It'll mean getting used to a slightly altered Wednesday personal timetable.

Comment

I attended All Saints in 1981-2 whe David Nield was in charge of the music. We had some splendid choral evensongs (I remember This is the Record of John with a viol consort) and even a Monteverdi mass at the Eucharist. Good to know the tradition continues.

The church itself has a curious habit of turning up in the background of old films. It's also a very curious builidng, a mixture of various architectural styles, and in a splendid position, right in the middle of the town. .
        Last edited by smittims; 07-04-24, 08:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher View Post
          Maybe had it been live. Grr!

Comment

Please note that this CE is TODAY AT 3 P.M.

Comment

Gosh - more than a bit underwhelmed, and had never imagined I would be - given Tiffin's reputation - a much admired reputation.
              Last edited by DracoM; 10-04-24, 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Gosh - more than a bit underwhelmed, and had never imagined I would be - given Tiffin's reputation - a much admired reputation.
                Oh that's a shame. I was unhappy that other commitments meant that I wasn't able to listen, but perhaps that wasn't as much of a disappointment as I thought?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  I wasn't able to listen, but perhaps that wasn't as much of a disappointment as I thought?
                  Do have a listen. It was a remarkable achievement for a state school choir to sing Evensong to this standard. I particularly enjoyed the Howells Te Deum and the Office Hymn, lustily sung by a choir of children and adolescents singing all four SATB parts. Of the 1200 pupils in the school, an impressive 100 study GCSE Music. To the well-established Tiffin Boys' Choir can be added girls from the sixth form, which seems to have been the case here judging from a photo on TwitterX.

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                    Do have a listen. It was a remarkable achievement for a state school choir to sing Evensong to this standard. I particularly enjoyed the Howells Te Deum and the Office Hymn, lustily sung by a choir of children and adolescents singing all four SATB parts. Of the 1200 pupils in the school, an impressive 100 study GCSE Music. To the well-established Tiffin Boys' Choir can be added girls from the sixth form, which seems to have been the case here judging from a photo on TwitterX.
                    I was hoping to listen again on Sunday anyway so it will be interesting to see which way my opinion goes, given the 2 quite different views on here!

Comment

Rpt today @ 3 p.m.

Comment

Well I'm happy to say that not only did I manage to catch the repeat, but that I thought it was well worth hearing. My only criticism would be the slow speed of the Introit. Bearing in mind this was one of those days when reception was bad here, the clarity of the singing was welcome.

Comment

Slow speeds my prob too

Comment

I thought the Howells was good. Great to hear them still going strong after all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                              Do have a listen. It was a remarkable achievement for a state school choir to sing Evensong to this standard. I particularly enjoyed the Howells Te Deum …
                              Having caught up with this at last, I was impressed by this CE - and, yes, a very stirring rendition of the Howell Te Deum (one of my favourite choral pieces) which I’ve now listened to 3 times I think: truly excellent
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X