Clear All

CE Chapel of Selwyn College, Cambridge [L] 17.4.24

CE Chapel of Selwyn College, Cambridge [L] 17.4.24

Order of Service:

Introit: Rise up, my love (Willan)
    Responses: Radcliffe
    Psalm 89 (Harris, Sarah MacDonald)
    First Lesson: Genesis 3.8-21
    Canticles: Evening Service in A flat (Sarah MacDonald)
    Second Lesson: 1 Corinthians 15.12-28
    Anthem: Done is a battell on the dragon blak (Bryan Kelly)
    Hymn: Alleluya! Alleluya Hearts to heaven and voices raise (Lux eoi)

Voluntary: Easter Music (And he rose again on the third day) (Bryan Kelly)

Adam Field (Percy Young Senior Organ Scholar)
    Sarah MacDonald (Director of Music)

Last edited by Pulcinella; 14-04-24, 11:51.

A live broadcast: hope those that much prefer them can listen in!
    I took the liberty of correcting the date in Draco's original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      A live broadcast: hope those that much prefer them can listen in!
      I took the liberty of correcting the date in Draco's original post.
      Typically, not! I have to take my wife to a medical appointment !

Comment

I am so pleased so see someone performing the Kelly anthem. I remember this being published when I was young, healthy and virulent (days I can barely rememebr!) I think it was possibly published as a supplement in the Musical Times when the MT used to do such things (before they lost interest in organists). I was never convinced that Kelly understood voices, e.g. he would write fortissimo chords with impractical spacing such as expecting basses on bottom Gs to balance sopranos on top Gs, but I thought this piece original and well worth hearing—but this is the first time I have ever heard of it being sung..

Not so enamoured to see the usual self-promotion by the DoM. Sorry.

Comment

Rpt today. 3 p.m.- I hope!!!

Comment

Lovely singing and very enjoyable service. Beautiful sounds in the psalms and Canticles. I have no problem hearing Sarah M’s music, always worth it. The Kelly is a ‘go for’ piece done here with panache and with an excellent soloist. It probably could have done with a closer balance for the best effect. Best recording of the piece is on a cd by the RSCM Millennium Youth Choir under David Ogden, a highly recommended recital of 20th century anthems.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                The Kelly is a ‘go for’ piece done here with panache and with an excellent soloist. It probably could have done with a closer balance for the best effect. Best recording of the piece is on a cd by the RSCM Millennium Youth Choir under David Ogden, a highly recommended recital of 20th century anthems.
                The setting of this text I grew up with was by Martin Bussey and dramatically performed by an RSCM Choral Course at York Minster back in 1985. I've always thought it a shame it's never had more performances.
                https://youtu.be/l5I5Y4O_KOM (Sorry the recording's not better... made on a mono cassette recorder at the time.)

(Lovely to hear the beautiful Willan introit again.)

Comment

Originally posted by Cashew View Post
                  The setting of this text I grew up with was by Martin Bussey and dramatically performed by an RSCM Choral Course at York Minster back in 1985. I've always thought it a shame it's never had more performances.
                  https://youtu.be/l5I5Y4O_KOM (Sorry the recording's not better... made on a mono cassette recorder at the time.)
                  Thanks. That certainly deserves to be heard more. I bet it was fun to sing.

Comment

Working...
                  X