Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startling and sad news from Winchester Cathedral

See the news/press release on the Cathedral website. I will make no comment...

This?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks! I was struggling to copy the link!

Comment

All is evidently not well presently in God's many kingdoms!

Comment

There could be any number of reasons - which are none of our business - why AL is leaving. 22 years is a long time, so it's not unreasonable for him to feel he wants to do something else for a bit. People on this forum really do love to infer crisis from these situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Caussade View Post
            There could be any number of reasons - which are none of our business - why AL is leaving. 22 years is a long time, so it's not unreasonable for him to feel he wants to do something else for a bit. People on this forum really do love to infer crisis from these situations.
            I have no inside knowledge of the Cathedral Choral world - my reaction to this thread was similar to yours, Caussade.

Comment

Originally posted by Caussade View Post
              There have been so many instances in recent times of turmoil in such establishments that I think the assumption has become "trouble" whenever a significant person leaves. As Caussade says, 22 years is a decent stint in one place, and that may be the only reason.

Comment

He is in his early 60s and may have some other pet projects he'd like to undertake before retiring.

Comment

If you have any links to cathedral music or Winchester then you will know that it is not a happy ship.

Comment

They had a controversial Bishop whose career path was surprising and not very well documented - a possible parallel to Paula Vennells' candidacy for Bishop of London? Also a precentor who didn't stay long. Both have been succeeded by others though.

Comment

Originally posted by DerFreischütz View Post
                      If you have any links to cathedral music or Winchester then you will know that it is not a happy ship.
                      I'm not aware of the situation and I really don't want to stir any mud, so maybe it's not appropriate to comment, but I do hope that the disquiet is not because of threats to the musical establishment. Ever since the days of Martin Neary the standard of the choir at Winchester has been at or very near the top of the tree as cathedral choirs go. I've not heard them recently, but I very much hope that this will continue to be the case.

Comment

Have not commented on the forum in some time, but knowing the Southern Cathedrals a fair bit I kept an eye out for this post from Lizzie. I am pretty certain there is not just smoke here but a raging fire. The back row are reduced from 12 to 8, one assistant left only a year or two back, not to a fresh job, and now the two most senior of the 3 current organist team depart simultaneously, with Lumsden also not going on to fresh pastures but staying as DoM of another Winchester based choir. It is indeed, as DerFreischütz​ said, not a happy ship - at least it hasn't been over the last few years

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                          They had a controversial Bishop whose career path was surprising and not very well documented - a possible parallel to Paula Vennells' candidacy for Bishop of London? Also a precentor who didn't stay long. Both have been succeeded by others though.
                          I think you are referring to Canon Sue, who is now Succentor at Truro Cathedral? Sue was with us for five years, which these days is a relatively longer time. She moved to Cornwall, after helping out there for a considerable while, and was appointed fully as Canon Succentor this year. Hope that clarifies.

Comment

The quality of music-making at Winchester Cathedral under Andy Lumsden since his arrival there twenty-two years ago has been consistently top notch. His untimely departure is very sad and upsetting for many in that cathedral and in the wider cathedral music community. A tweet that 'the alleged NDA has been in the works with lawyers for some months​' could be taken with a pinch of salt, but makes an official explanation of events seem very unlikely in the near future. Our thoughts are with Andy and his friends and family.

Lizzie, Canon Sue is enjoying her new role in Truro, singing, swimming and succenting.

Comment

Working...
                            X