Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... but the words are doggerel (to be kind)
    Yes, my point was about the words being sung at a funeral:

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
    I've had my fill, my share of losing
    And now, as tears subside
    I find it all so amusing
    To think I did all that
    And may I say, not in a shy way
    Oh, no, oh, no, not me
    I did it my way

It might have made a few people laugh, I suppose.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes, my point was about the words being sung at a funeral:

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
      I've had my fill, my share of losing
      And now, as tears subside
      I find it all so amusing
      To think I did all that
      And may I say, not in a shy way
      Oh, no, oh, no, not me
      I did it my way

It might have made a few people laugh, I suppose.

and -
      "I did what I had to do
      And saw it through without exemption
      I planned each charted course
      Each careful step along the byway​"

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... but the words are doggerel (to be kind)

Yes and very different from the superior French Lyrics. They were written by Paul Anka who said once something like :

“I wrote it an evening . When I finished I thought ‘Sinatra’ and then I cried.”

jeez …

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          I recently attended a friend's funeral, and we discovered, as the coffin was taken out of the church and the congregation began to leave, that his choice of music to accompany this final stage of the proceedings was Josef Locke singing 'Goodbye'.
          Some years ago my aunt's funeral ended with Gracie Fields singing Wish Me Luck as You Wave Me Goodbye as we filed past her coffin at the end of proceedings!

Perhaps I should request Jacques Brel singing Le Moribund - superior to Terry Jacks's chart-topping English version!

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post

Some years ago my aunt's funeral ended with Gracie Fields singing Wish Me Luck as You Wave Me Goodbye as we filed past her coffin at the end of proceedings!

Perhaps I should request Jacques Brel singing Le Moribund - superior to Terry Jacks's chart-topping English version!
            Definitely preferable to Pete and Dud's 'Goodbye' song.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              We see how astute Roy Plomley's idea was , that a person's choice of music tells us so much about them. Funerals as well as weddings. How many must have groaned at having to play 'I did it my way' as a send-off?
              The late and much-missed jazz pianist Michael Garrick once told me about a gig he did in a notoriously rough pub in London's East End. When it came to requests time, a large well-built man shouted out "My Way!" Poor Michael - who was only about five feet tall, limbered up to the theme of the tune by way of an improvised intro, as one does. After a few minutes he felt the piano stool violently swung around, being lifted by the lapels until his face was an inch from the man's nose, and the man telling him in no uncertain terms, "I SAID... MY Way!!!".

Comment

Apparently Sir John Pritchard had one of Mozart's concert arias at his funeral - Vado - ma dove?

Comment

Today's letters: inspiration from Ireland?

Hymn’s Irish origin

Sir, You say […] that All Things Bright and Beautiful was written in Wales as a tribute to the landscape and wildlife of Monmouthshire. I have always thought it a description of Co Tyrone and its hills and the River Mourne; Mrs Alexander lived in this area for some time and appreciated its beauty, and was inspired by the ripe fruits in her Irish garden.
                  Canon Brian Stevenson
                  West Peckham, Kent

Sir, How very sad that the Rev Annabelle Elletson disdains I Vow to Thee My Country […]. I cannot believe she regards the second half, which is about Heaven, as inappropriate. As for the first half, I have not been called on to make the final sacrifice but I admire those who have. And I still offer my country, and its people, the service of my love.
                  Thorda Abbott-Watt
                  London W8

Comment

Now that 'My Way' seems to be rehabilitated as 'classical music' we have a Bob Marley song on 'Classical Live' (yesterday at about 3,50 after Schubert's nInth, as if Tom McKinney was longing to let his hair down after all that boring symphony. And this morning I switched on to 'Just one Cornetto' on TTN. Maybe the lyrics of that are 'classic' too, who knows? .

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Today's letters: inspiration from Ireland?
                      And on the more general point about ATBAB, it's very easy to pour scorn on All Things that date from an earlier era. Whatever one may feel privately, if you want supercilious snobbery there's not much to beat that.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Indeed. I can think of many things taken for granted today (officially at least) which I am sure future generations will condemn, which is why I think Milord would have done better to grin and bear it.

Comment

My son in law was asked to officiate at a CofE wedding where the bride wished to come down the pile to the music from ‘My Little Pony.’

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                            My son in law was asked to officiate at a CofE wedding where the bride wished to come down the pile to the music from ‘My Little Pony.’
                            That would certainly be way down the pile for me!

Comment

Be lucky if the the Little Pony didn't leave a pile.

Comment

Autocorrect?

Comment

Working...
                                X