What's you favourite Magnificat and Nunc in D?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's you favourite Magnificat and Nunc in D?

To get things going on this thread, I wonder if colleagues had a favourite Mag and Nunc setting in D?
    I do actually like Bullock in D and Tustin Baker in D and Garret in D. But Walmisley in D is sooooooooooo boring. What do you think?
    PS Bullock in D has to feature a Bass soloist in the Nunc. Some lightweight cathedrals do it full. No names...no pack drill.

Why this key more than any other? Could it include Dorian mode ones too? A lot will go for Dyson obviously, but I'm very partial to that old standby, sings itself, Wood in D.

Comment

i too am partial to a bit of wood, but sorry, it's either Eb2 or E (mens' voices) for me!

Can we modulate to the Dominant and perhaps allow Naylor in A or the relative minor: Blair?!

ss

Comment

Originally posted by Bullock in D View Post
        .....But Walmisley in D is sooooooooooo boring....
        I only know Walmisley in D minor - ?

Thomas Attwood Walmisley's Magnificat in D minor.Sung by the choir of St. Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue, NY.http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/Stream.htmlScore f...

Comment

There is a D, not often done, as well as a B flat too.

Comment

Well, it's maybe not my favourite, but can I flag up a charming, little-known but very effective setting (in D) by John Winter, sometime organist (assistant?) at Truro Cathedral? It gets through the text quickly if you want a shortish service!

Comment

Ernest Moeran, Percy Whitlock, Herbert Sumsion, and of course Herbert Brewer, have given us fine settings in D.

Comment

Maybe hackneyed, I know, but Howells St Paul's Service always thrills me.

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
                  This allusion is lost on me - expliquez s'il vous plait
                  I think he's having a little friendly jest. Probably against Salisbury! LOL.

Re the Ds - it's Wood for me, for sure.

bws S-S!

Comment

Jack Hawes in D is a fine service does anyone do it? Seen on Chichester lists during Thurlow's time any other sightings.

Comment

Originally posted by Y Mab Afradlon View Post
                      Jack Hawes in D is a fine service does anyone do it? Seen on Chichester lists during Thurlow's time any other sightings.
                      Interesting also that Chichester have recorded it for Priory, volume 2 of their Nunc & Mag series.

Comment

My favourite Mag and Nunc is Gray in Bb. Alan Gray was Charles Stanford's successor at Trinity College cambridge and this is a setting that has unfortunately got lost. I also love Howells' St John's Service and Michael Tippett's service for St John's. I am, somewhat biased, having been a chorister at St John's under George Guest. Another wonderful piece that was never published (until very recently) and should not be part of this thread is Patrick Hadley's 'My Song is Love Unknown', which is part of his Lenten Cantata.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Maybe hackneyed, I know, but Howells St Paul's Service always thrills me.
                          DracoM, me too. It was the last mag and nunc I heard in King's Chapel as an undergraduate at Cambridge (followed by "And I saw a new heaven" as the anthem....) and I was already a Howells addict having heard the St Paul's service several times in the preceding 3 years.

But the setting that caps them all for me is Howell's Gloucester service. From the delicacy of the haunting duet between groups of trebles at the start of the Mag to the climactic moments in the Gloria (from memory, there is a huge ff leap upwards on the words "As it was..."), nothing beats it for me.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                          X