• Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Chester Cathedral Wed, 16th Dec 2015

CE Chester Cathedral

Order of Service:

Introit: Adam lay ybounden (Howard Skempton)
    Responses: Smith
    Psalms 82, 83, 84, 85 (MacFarren, Cross, Woods, Hopkins)
    First Lesson: Joel 3: 9-16
    Antiphon: O Sapientia
    Canticles: Great Service (Byrd)
    Second Lesson: Matthew 24: 29-35
    Anthem: Ad te levavi (White)
    Hymn: Hills of the North, rejoice (Little Cornard)

Organ Voluntary: Cortège et Litanie (Dupré)

Benjamin Chewter, Organist
    Philip Rushforth, Director of Music
  • Vox Humana
    • Dec 2012

Nice to see some Robert White programmed. He's still far too under-performed. I shall be interested to hear what Chester make of Ad te levavi. I have always considered it a rather pedestrian, four-square piece and somewhat below White's very considerable best, but I would be delighted to be persuaded.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Yes, and the Byrd Great Service, usually considered too long for liturgical perfpormance.

Is this a live broadcast? I thought I might go to it and checked the Cathedral website here, but there's no mention of it at all!

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

From Chester Cath website: Wednesday 16 December
        15.30 Choral Evensong (broadcast on BBC Radio 3)

The Cathedral usually conducts Evensong at 5.30
        The given schedule has it at 3.30 p.m. on this upcoming Wednesday, thus hinting that it is live' IMO.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Robert White (Whyte) setting of Psalm 123 'Ad te levavi oculos' - 'I lift up my eyes to you' for 6 voices SSAATB.Gallicantus, directed by Gabriel Crouch sing...

Vox Humana
          This might convince you too!!

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            From Chester Cath website: Wednesday 16 December
            15.30 Choral Evensong (broadcast on BBC Radio 3)
            That's good to know - but it's not on the page I found, linked to above.

Comment

• Keraulophone
              • Nov 2010

This might convince
              That definitely convinced me. What a wonderful line-up of gents!

Comment

• Vox Humana
                • Dec 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PGF0C0Rfag

Vox Humana
                This might convince you too!!
                Not bad at all. I prefer the performance on this disc however - and the one on this disc is just as good, if not better. To be fair, it's not a bad piece. I'm probably being picky because so much music by White is better.
                Last edited by Vox Humana; 13-12-15, 02:23.

Comment

• Chris Watson
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
                  Not bad at all. I prefer the performance on this disc however - and the one on this disc is just as good, if not better. To be fair, it's not a bad piece. I'm probably being picky because so much music by White is better.
                  Can't remember if there is anyone who is on all three of these discs without looking at the booklets, but there is a strong connection between them and I'm pretty sure the H8 and Gallicantus discs have the same director.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

This dignified CE had a really appropriate Advent feel to it. Not a sniff of premature Christmas! This is an accomplished choir, well directed, with an excellent top line. It is probably churlish to say that my enjoyment was slightly marred by (what appeared to be) one back-row voice which protruded not so much in volume but by having an edgy tone. This may have been over-emphasised by the mike-placing. I just wish it could have been rounded off a bit. The snag is, once noticed, it's hard to ignore! My problem. Good that local boy Robert White had an outing. I only know his Lamentations. Thanks for a great service (!) Chester.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Endorse every word.

What always annoys pretty well every week is that the studio intro is one volume and the on-location singing site then sounds literally MILES away as if on another island.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        ...This is an accomplished choir, well directed, with an excellent top line.
                        Girls, in case anyone was wondering - and only ten of them altogether, five of them to seven men each side, though the Byrd splits the trebles!

It is probably churlish to say that my enjoyment was slightly marred by (what appeared to be) one back-row voice which protruded not so much in volume but by having an edgy tone. This may have been over-emphasised by the mike-placing.
                        It wasn't evident at all to me, in the Cathedral.

The whole thing was quite wonderful.

What always annoys pretty well every week is that the studio intro is one volume and the on-location singing site then sounds literally MILES away as if on another island.
                        There's a whole thread about this sort of thing somewhere...

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          Girls, in case anyone was wondering - and only ten of them altogether, five of them to seven men each side, though the Byrd splits the trebles!.
                          Jean,

If the top line were girls of the same age range as the boys then the singing was outstanding.

If it was, as I assumed, older teenage girls/young women then you might expect a decent level of accomplishment and they were very very good indeed.

The Chester site is frustrating in this respect. It talks about the cathedral choir and shows a full view of some boys and a back shot of what looks to be older girls standing in front of the men. Nowhere, as far as I can see, does it mention separate boys' and girls' choirs only that the choristers are drawn from various schools in the city and surrounding area.

VCC

Comment

• terratogen
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
                            Jean,

If the top line were girls of the same age range as the boys then the singing was outstanding.

If it was, as I assumed, older teenage girls/young women then you might expect a decent level of accomplishment and they were very very good indeed.
                            I had just been writing the following when I was beat to it:

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            Girls, in case anyone was wondering - and only ten of them altogether, five of them to seven men each side, though the Byrd splits the trebles!
                            So those who wouldn't extend choristerships to seven- to thirteen-year-old girls anyway can simultaneously dismiss the accomplishments of Chester's girls by obliquely implying that it's only by virtue of their age that they've done so splendidly here.

At any rate. Talk about a choir that punches above its weight. I've been listening in a disjointed way at my desk, but all that I've heard thus far has been terrific. Love that Skempton more and more each time I hear it-- slower this time than I'm used to, but no less compelling. So well done, Chester. Looking forward to having a proper listen tonight.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
                              If it was, as I assumed, older teenage girls/young women...
                              It wasn't, though they weren't very young, either.

They didn't get to wear surplices. Why might that be, I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                              X