Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

I had a faulty CD in a box set recently. It was definitely faulty to the point that I could see a dent that had been made through the cardboard sleeve and into the CD. (CD 14 in the much maligned 60 CD Sony Baroque Masterworks, and a pity as it is a rather good CD of Bach Motets by Cantus Coln).

Anyway, I really couldn't be bothered to return and get a whole replacement set, but I did wonder if I asked on the board if somebody might burn me one in return for the postage.

anyway, might be an idea if anybody does have a definitely dodgy one in a box to put the word out , and see if a forumite can come to the rescue !
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Right. On close examination of the CDs of The Nelson Mass and Handel Coronation Anthems, there was a clear blob of about 5mm diameter to be seen on the surface a little way in from the outer edge. It was as if someone had been eating sticky toffee and had then picked up the CDs lightly between thumb and forefinger. So I got ALL the CDs out (the first time they had seen daylight in my house) and up to about halfway through the box, they all had the same blob...except for the double St John Passion ones. What's been going on here? Are they packed by hand??? One would have thought clinical conditions might have prevailed. Or had my box been returned by someone and re-sold? (It was new from Amazon, BTW. I ordered it!)

Anyway, I have cleaned the CDs carefully with warm water and wiped them radially as recommended with a clean cloth. They now work! So as someone said, it's not rocket science. BUT, isn't this a rather odd situation...and is it worth complaining?

Comment

• Vox Humana
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        ...and is it worth complaining?
        Definitely. They should be told!

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
          Definitely. They should be told!
          I agree that they should be told. As you are not (presumably) now looking for a replacement your comments have some force. On the other hand, although not Amazon's fault they might send a replacement anyway without asking for the other one back. Then you've one set each!

Incidentally, I got mine from Presto.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
          X