CE Truro Cathedral

Order of Service:

Introit: Prevent us O Lord (Byrd)
    Responses: Byrd
    Psalm 18 (Parry, Macpherson, Atkins)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 61:1-9
    Canticles: The Great Service (Parsons)
    Second Lesson: Luke 7:18-30
    Anthems: Simile est regnum caelorum (Guerrero)
    Ave Maria (Josquin)
    Hymn: Now thank we all our God (Nun Danket)

Organ Voluntary: Ave Maria (Cathedral Windows - Karg-Elert)

Organist: Luke Bond
    Director of Music: Christopher Gray
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

Lovely repertoire, especially the Josquin (a rare appearance in CE?)

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I wonder if they're going to sing the whole motet, or just that chordal bit in the middle?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
        I wonder if they're going to sing the whole motet, or just that chordal bit in the middle?
        I hope the former. The chordal bit is catchy, but what surrounds it is sublime.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Indeed.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

On reflection, jean, I think it must be the whole motet, since the chordal bit is not set to the words Ave Maria. If not, I'd be making a trade descriptions complaint!

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I think Keraulophone may be able to confirm or otherwise.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                On reflection, jean, I think it must be the whole motet, since the chordal bit is not set to the words Ave Maria...
                You're right, of course. When it's printed as a stand-alone motet, it's Ave vera virginitas.

I was just trying to prepare myself for disappointment.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Nice to be hearing a bit of Karg Elert, especially on Truro's lovely Willis. He was deeply unfashionable for a while; indeed when I 'auditioned' for lessons with a posh organ teacher 50 years ago he was most snooty about my playing some. (Yes, it was Nun Danket. )

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Reminder....today at 3.30pm

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      Nice to be hearing a bit of Karg Elert, especially on Truro's lovely Willis. He was deeply unfashionable for a while; indeed when I 'auditioned' for lessons with a posh organ teacher 50 years ago he was most snooty about my playing some. (Yes, it was Nun Danket. )
                      "Let me take this other glove off. As the vox humana swells"....it certainly is!

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

The Josquin was very well done indeed, I thought.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                          • Nov 2010

Loved the psalm (as always from Truro) - truly effective accomp.

Comment

• Cornet IV

It must be a couple of years since I last enthused about the wonderful Evensong provided by Truro. I thought this a superlative offering; the only thing causing a furrowed brow was the many changes of registration in the psalm - I found these, seemingly made at every verse, a little distracting - although the temptation to do this, with what in my judgment is Henry Willis's finest creation, is hard to resist.

I have been reminded of this earlier performance by this afternoon's broadcast which I enjoyed almost as much. However, it has to be admitted that at 51 verses, Psalm 18 does go on a bit and requires some change of colours to avoid an excess of ennui. If I had been in charge, I might have been tempted to change the chant at half time. Never mind, Truro have done well again.

Pity I can't agree about the Karg Elert; I've always considered him dull with his music banal. Given the "early music" style of the service, as a contrast, I should like to have had a BWV for the Voluntary - 533 as a suggestion.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

the only thing causing a furrowed brow was the many changes of registration in the psalm
                              Hang about a bit....organists have to do something to relieve the monotony of playing the same tune over and over.
                              Seriously though, Cornet, there was a change of chant...didn't you notice? I thought the Psalm was most enjoyable as was the rest of the CE (though I could have done without the mini-sermon before the anthem...it spoils the flow).

Many congrats to Truro for an enterprising choice of music and for executing it so well. As always, an example for some other places nearer the hub of civilisation!

As for Karg Elert,why not?

(Apparently his favourite instrument was the kunstharmonium:

...and if IIRC his organ works...some of them anyway...cite it as an alternative.)

Edit: If the above link is unhelpful, then.....

"in 1904 he [Karg Elert] met the Berlin publisher Carl Simon, who introduced him to the harmonium. From then on until his death he created one of the most significant and extensive catalogs of original works for this instrument. Encouraged by the organist Paul Homeyer, he reworked several of these harmonium compositions for organ"
                              Last edited by ardcarp; 03-02-16, 20:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X