Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best Carol Arrangements

Now that Advent has arrived, it seem reasonable to discuss Christmas carols.

There are so many fine choral arrangements. These are a few of my favourites:

A Maiden Most Gentle, arr. Andrew Carter
    The 12 Days of Christmas, arr. Andrew Carter (and Rutter's is rather good too)
    O Come. O Come, Emmanuel, arr. Andrew Carter
    It Came Upon the Midnight Clear, arr. Thomas F. Dunhill
    Once in Royal David's City, arr. Ledger
    O Come, all ye Faithful, arr. Willcocks

I'll think of more, but it would be good to hear others' favourites.

Of Willcock's arrangements, I've always thought his 'Tomorrow shall be my dancing day' the best : the chord at 'Sing O my love, my love in verse 3 being exquisite!

Comment

Ever since I can remember, I've loved the Darke setting for In The Bleak Midwinter and find the sound of Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium and Eric Whitacre's Lux Aurumque both deeply moving. Liz

Comment

Much as I enjoy the Willcocks arrangement of 'Tomorrow shall be my dancing day', the John Gardner version is my real favourite!

Comment

My own list included three Andrew Carter arrangements. Although I've been in a choir founded by him, and have lived within reasonable proximity to him, we had never met. But recently, in the interval of a choir concert, a well-dressed man started chatting to me; during the course of the conversation, it became clear that he was very knowledgeable, but not at all "know-it-all". It was only later that I had been talking with one of my musical heros. His charming personality was in the same league as his musical professionalism.

Comment

Not a carol 'arrangement' but the way the harmonies are arranged makes for the 'tingle factor' every time - Warlock's "Bethlehem Down".

Comment

So long as they don't have to be English, I nominate In Dulci Jubilo arranged by Michael Praetorius:

Michael Praetorius (1571-1621)Polyhymnia caduceatrix et panegyrica (1619)'In dulci jubilo'Gabrieli Consort & PlayersPaul McCreesh

and by Samuel Scheidt:

Samuel Scheidt (1587-1654) "In dulci jubilo" Performed by Cambridge University Musical Society, The Bach Choir, Wilbraham Brass Soloists, Choir of King's Co...

Comment

Among my favourites are Darke's In the Bleak Midwinter and both the Willcocks and Gardner versions of Tomorrow shall be my dancing day. One that I've discovered in the past few years but for the life of me can't remember the title (I can remember the 3rd verse which isn't really much help!) is a setting by Gareth Glyn of a Welsh translation of a Catalan carol - it has a lullaby quality. If I remember the title later on I'll post it.

Comment

Lennox Berkeley I sing of a Maiden and Stanley Taylor's Watts's Cradle Song. both very simple and effective.

Comment

And Joseph lieber, Joseph mein by Johann Walther:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

May I nominate God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen arr. Willcocks?
                      Stirring last verse ending in the major
                      Last edited by mercia; 17-12-10, 13:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                        Lennox Berkeley I sing of a Maiden and Stanley Taylor's Watts's Cradle Song. both very simple and effective.
                        Patrick Hadley's setting of 'I sing of a Maiden' too....

Comment

Gerald Finzi: In Terra Pax
                          Bournemouth Symphony / Hilary Daan Welton
                          City of London Choir

Sigolene

Comment

Oh Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                              So long as they don't have to be English, I nominate In Dulci Jubilo arranged by Michael Praetorius:

Michael Praetorius (1571-1621)Polyhymnia caduceatrix et panegyrica (1619)'In dulci jubilo'Gabrieli Consort & PlayersPaul McCreesh

and by Samuel Scheidt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLzyaCPIUk
                              Oh absolutely! One of my other favourite cds in my collection - Gabrieli Consort. Liz

Comment

Working...
                              X