Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordV
    • Aug 2017

RonW I concur. I felt the plainchant was a little on the lugubrious side. I prefer it with a touch more vim and vigour!

Comment

• LordV
      • Aug 2017

Also I don't understand why people insist on accompanying chant!

Comment

• mw963
        • Feb 2012

We might not agree on Leighton EdgeleyRob, but on York Bowen we are unanimous I suspect. I believe that the term is "harmonically rich writing", it's certainly the sort of music that my boat floats on.

Didn't hear the rest, I suspect I shan't be quite as in tune with it, but will at least have a go.

And as always, total respect for all involved, I hope they're all down the pub now.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LordV View Post
          Also I don't understand why people insist on accompanying chant!
          Nor do I.

I have heard it argued that chant is a living, evolving thing and that different ways of accompanying it are part of its evolution. Not convinced, though.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Each piece of the musical tapestry had interest and expertise, but what I found a bit disconcerting was the brusque tip from timeless plainchant [ didn't find it too slow ] into the relative rough and very 20th century tumble of the Walton.

I realise that a CE from such a festival would could include a showcase of many constituent parts as the festival has day by day, but to have so many different genres in one 45-55 minute service was......well, just a bit of too rapid a buffet for me. Yes, I know that's what the annual Buckfast tx nearly always does have, but....its probably Walton that worried me most - not a fan, I fear. The Walker seemed much more in tune with the event.

Comment

• Fons Bonitatis
              • Aug 2015

I disagree Draco... the Walton is a succinct well-crafted and characterful setting, and for me was the most enjoyable part of the service. However, I didn't enjoy the Anthem. Not my cup of tea ....

York Bowen. Substantial and lovely harmonies ☺️.
              Congrats to all at Edington on a well executed broadcast

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

<< a succinct well-crafted and characterful setting >>

Don't disagree - I'm just deffo not a Walton fan, and for it to come so abruptly after the stilling plainchant was for me - and I stress this IMO - an aural and even spiritual shock

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
                  We might not agree on Leighton EdgeleyRob, but on York Bowen we are unanimous I suspect. I believe that the term is "harmonically rich writing", it's certainly the sort of music that my boat floats on.

Didn't hear the rest, I suspect I shan't be quite as in tune with it, but will at least have a go.

And as always, total respect for all involved, I hope they're all down the pub now.
                  Yes mw I adore YB's music.
                  It's lush !

Comment

Working...
                  X