Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Manchester Cathedral Wed, 27th Sept 2017

CE Manchester Cathedral
    Wed, 27th Sept 2017

Order of Service:

Introit: How awesome is this place (Christopher Stokes)
    Responses: Smith
    Psalms 127, 128, 130, 131 (Battishill, Trent, Hesford, Smart)
    First Lesson: Proverbs 2: 1-15
    Office Hymn: Creator of the earth and sky (Deus creator)
    Canticles: Harwood in A flat
    Second Lesson: Colossians 1: 9-20
    Anthem: Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen (Brahms)
    Final Hymn: O praise ye the Lord! (Laudate Dominum)

Psalm 150 (Matthew Martin. Commissioned by the Dean and Chapter to mark the opening of the new organ)

Organ Voluntary: Fanfare (Whitlock)

Geoffrey Woollatt - Sub-Organist
    Christopher Stokes - Organist and Master of the Choristers

• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Clean, efficient, joyfully musical top, plenty of attack.
    Liked the Stokes's introit. Psalms gave everyone jam - psalms always a revealing workout for any choir, and with four psalms, the concentration needs to be max.
    Manchester has a pretty tight acoustic, and I thought the organ work was admirable in not swamping but supporting, until Mr Wollatt got his chance in the vol - big, bumpy and bouncy Whitlock - not my thing, but certainly showed off the new instrument.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Liked the Stokes's introit. Psalms gave everyone jam - psalms always a revealing workout for any choir, and with four psalms, the concentration needs to be max.
      Manchester has a pretty tight acoustic, and I thought the organ work was admirable in not swamping but supporting, until Mr Wollatt got his chance in the vol - big, bumpy and bouncy Whitlock - not my thing, but certainly showed off the new instrument.
      Just enjoying the Whitlock on iPlayer now...

Did I really hear a prayer for our homes to be filled with "lurv and peace" at the end?

OG

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Just enjoying the Whitlock on iPlayer now...

Did I really hear a prayer for our homes to be filled with "lurv and peace" at the end?

OG
        Somewhere between lurrv and love I think.

Comment

• jonfan
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Agree with all DracoM said except the Whitlock IS my thing and played by Mr Woollatt. I thought the solo singing in the canticles was very well done in all departments and the new Martin a great show piece. Classic chants in the psalms; can anyone explain the source of 'Trent' which seems to be in every psalter since time began but no mention of composer or source?
          Terrific service, thank you Manchester.

Comment

• Radegund
            • May 2012

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
            can anyone explain the source of 'Trent' which seems to be in every psalter since time began but no mention of composer or source?
            According to The Anglican Chant Book (Novello 1956) it was composed by Sydney Bevan, 1838–1901, and named after his home, Trent Park, Middlesex

Comment

• jonfan
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Radegund View Post
              According to The Anglican Chant Book (Novello 1956) it was composed by Sydney Bevan, 1838–1901, and named after his home, Trent Park, Middlesex
              Thanks for this. A mystery solved. It is strange that this chant hasn't been known by the composer's name as is the usual way.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Talking of names, Luckington is the name of Basil Harwood's tune to Let All the World in Every Corner Sing. To mu mind it is a glorious tune, quite original in its shape, using only the diatonic notes in the scale (of E major or whatever key you choose) in a pattern reminiscent of bell-ringing. It displays the treble voice to remarkable effect. I wish I could wax so lyrical about Harwood in A flat.

Comment

• Dafydd y G.W.
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                  Thanks for this. A mystery solved. It is strange that this chant hasn't been known by the composer's name as is the usual way.
                  It's well known as a notable (tho' not quite unique) exception to the rule that Anglican chants are known by their composers, and don't have names like hymn tunes.

Someone did suggest that all chants should be rounded up and allotted names from minor characters in the Old Testament (Tiglath Pileser anyone??), in order to escape the confusion that what I know as Hopkins in G is what you know as Hopkins in A flat, having been transposed down from the original key. No doubt a tongue-in-cheek suggestion as the flaw is obvious, and we seem to rub along well enough with the existing system.

Comment

Working...
                  X