• Mar 2007

CE Chapel of the Old Royal Naval College, London 29.xi.17

CE Chapel of the Old Royal Naval College

Order of Service:

Introit: Beati quorum via (Stanford)
    Responses: Shephard
    Psalm 47 (Crotch)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 52: 7-10
    Office Hymn: The Church's one foundation (Aurelia)
    Canticles: Noble in B minor
    Second Lesson: John 17: 20-26
    Anthem: Great is the Lord (Elgar)
    Hymn: All my hope on God is founded (Michael) (descant John Rutter)

Organ Voluntary: Sonata in G, Op 28 (Allegro maestoso) (Elgar)

Richard Gowers (Organist)
    Ralph Allwood (Director of Music)

• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

1. This is LIVE.
    2. Members of the choir are drawn from Trinity Laban, but there are also experienced and outstanding local volunteer singers.

Comment

• Vox Humana
      • Dec 2012

Some of my favourites there. I know a lot of people sneer at Noble in B minor, but I'm very partial to it. Dare I suggest that Rutter's descant to Michael is infinitely superior to Howells's, which (IMO of course) is an overcooked turkey?

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Dare I suggest that Rutter's descant to Michael is infinitely superior to Howells's, which (IMO of course) is an overcooked turkey?
        I'm not sure what 'overcooked turkey' means...but it can't mean 'done to death' can it? We hardly ever hear it...unless I'm leading a very sheltered life. I don't know Rutter's descant, so maybe I do, but Howells' is deliciously unconventional.

Comment

• Vox Humana
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Howells' is deliciously unconventional.
          That's a very gracious description, ardcarp. I'm afraid I think it just doesn't work - but then, I don't like descants that attract attention away from the tune. Their job is to enhance it, not swamp it. Less is more and, if you'll excuse the hyperbole, attempts to turn any last verse into an elaborate fugue or symphony invariably sound overblown (to me).

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Less is more and, if you'll excuse the hyperbole
            ..or is it litotes?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              ..or is it litotes?
              Wasn't he the brother of Ophelia?

(And wasn't VH referring to his own use of "overblown" when mentioning "hyperbole", rather than "less is more"?)
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Vox Humana
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                (And wasn't VH referring to his own use of "overblown" when mentioning "hyperbole", rather than "less is more"?)
                Actually, it was just an acknowledgement that likening (some) descants to fugues and symphonies was a wee bit OTT. However, I don't think it's an exaggeration to describe such elaborately contrapuntal descants as "overblown".
                Last edited by Vox Humana; 24-11-17, 20:11. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• Philip
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
                  Some of my favourites there. I know a lot of people sneer at Noble in B minor, but I'm very partial to it. Dare I suggest that Rutter's descant to Michael is infinitely superior to Howells's, which (IMO of course) is an overcooked turkey?
                  I agree about Noble in B minor. 'Like being chased by a pervert down an alley' is how one tenor in a choir I accompany for has described the chromaticism of the organ introduction.

I also agree about Michael, I played the Howells last verse (sans descant) tonight and it is somewhat odd.

Comment

• Dafydd y G.W.
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    I agree about Noble in B minor. 'Like being chased by a pervert down an alley' is how one tenor in a choir I accompany for has described the chromaticism of the organ introduction.

I also agree about Michael, I played the Howells last verse (sans descant) tonight and it is somewhat odd.
                    One of those cases where the composer should have left things as they were.

Wonderful description of the Noble - thank you. Not as good a piece as the Walmisley it was modelled on, but well worth an occasional outing. (The Walmisley suffers from being oversung. Too often programmed as a default. Familiarity blinds us to its strength and originality.)

Comment

• Dafydd y G.W.
                      • Oct 2016

At a good three and a half minutes Beati Quorum is really too long for an introit.

Introits on the Radio 3 broadcast are getting longer and longer, but they should be short and sweet, otherwise they distort the structure of the Office. (It doesn't help if they are then followed by a longish "welcome" chit chat from the officiant.)

It's a bit silly to sing "O Lord, open thou our lips," when you've been opening them for a good five minutes.

(The penitential introduction isn't so problematic because it is in the nature of a prepation, likewise a brief introit.)

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        Is that really the sort of language used by people in the church music world? Dear me!

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

I think it may have been a joke...........could be wrong, of course.............

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Of course it was a joke. But the language of jokes can be revealing in ways that weren't intended.

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                              Of course it was a joke. But the language of jokes can be revealing in ways that weren't intended.

Comment

Working...
                              X