• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Different presenter otherwise same old same old this Sunday. What a waste of Roderick Williams, whose presenting style I greatly enjoy, to just be presiding over a ragbag collection of organ items(which I note aren't even listed at the moment). If, as seems the case, R3 is determined to drive Choir and Organ to extinction as a functional programme, then it might as well put the present incarnation on as part of the morning schedule - nothing there to frighten the horses in terms of technical talk or challenging information(assuming one subscribes to the current low opinion of the morning audience)
    Next week sounds like a great improvement, though:

"Roderick Williams introduces an hour of irresistible music for voices" (compared to "Roderick Williams joins Choir and Organ to present an hour of the very best organ music and performances")

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        As with Inside Music, it does sound as if the guests understand the brief as a personal Private Passions - an opportunity to pick a selection of music which they love. Even explaining why they happen to love it doesn't necessarily get 'inside' the music.

I would want a 'professional' job to involve digging around a bit and perhaps discovering something interesting which even they didn't know existed, but which fitted in with a theme they were developing. A bit like tracing the vogue for "Turkish music" in the 17th/18th centuries, and making discoveries …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Right, so much of the R3 day becomes a series of Desert Island Discs/Private Passions, and that's it?

Crikey. Wallpaper.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

Inexpensive. The presenter as thematic "personality" (greater or lesser) and disc jockey. I haven't bothered listening for some time now.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

As with Inside Music, it does sound as if the guests understand the brief as a personal Private Passions - an opportunity to pick a selection of music which they love. Even explaining why they happen to love it doesn't necessarily get 'inside' the music.
              Or is that the brief they are given?. RW mentioned he had studied organ, so presumably could have brought a little bit of technical knowledge to bear on his introduction of the choices, but was that in the job spec?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Or is that the brief they are given?.
                I was given to understand that that was not the brief (the ref to RW threw me for the moment!). Given your pseudonymous username I have taken the liberty of adding your 'before' and 'after' comments, and other anonymous comments posted here, to my (probably final) attempt to persuade Radio 3 to be a bit more … rigorous. A little less Classic FM (or even 6 Music), and a bit more Radio 3.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

RW mentioned he had studied organ

... oh ... I see. For a moment there, I thought ...

Phew!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mw963
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Right, so much of the R3 day becomes a series of Desert Island Discs/Private Passions, and that's it?

Crikey. Wallpaper.
                    I'm surprised you're surprised. That's why I gave up on Radio 3 in 1992 when the awful Kenyon vandalised it. I know some of you managed to cope with those changes (On Air, In Tune amongst others) but I didn't. It's been ONLY Choral Evensong for me since 1992, I can bear a grudge for a VERY long time!!

How that dreadful man got a knighthood is beyond me. One of the greatest culture-crimes of the 20th C.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      I was given to understand that that was not the brief (the ref to RW threw me for the moment!). Given your pseudonymous username I have taken the liberty of adding your 'before' and 'after' comments, and other anonymous comments posted here, to my (probably final) attempt to persuade Radio 3 to be a bit more … rigorous. A little less Classic FM (or even 6 Music), and a bit more Radio 3.
                      Welcome to use my comments and apologies for any confusion with RW - forgot about the other one in my desire to avoid use of sore fingers today.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

- forgot about the other one
                        So had I, until ...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                        X