• Show
Clear All

CE Queen's Chapel of the Savoy, London Sunday, June 26th

CE Queen's Chapel of the Savoy, London
    The Light Fantastic Festival

Order of Service:

Introit: O love the Lord (Sullivan)
    Responses: James Cryer
    Office Hymn: Alleluia! Alleluia! Hearts to heaven and voices raise (Lux Eoi)
    Psalm 119: 145-176 (Garrett, Smart, Pye, Martin)
    First lesson: 1 Samuel 16: 1-23
    Canticles: Kelly in C
    Second lesson: Matthew 6: 25-34
    Anthems: Brother, thou art gone before us (Sullivan); The Lord bless you and keep you (Rutter)
    Sermon: The Revd Dr Ian Bradley
    Hymn: Onward Christian Soldiers (St Gertrude)

Organ Voluntary: Rustic Cavalry March from 'Wessex Suite' (Whitlock)

Assistant Organist: Justin Luke
    Master of the Music: Philip Berg

I'm glad Bryan Kelly's Mag and Nunc counts as 'light' music'! Pity someone couldn't have dashed off a few groovier Psalm chants though. I hope the SERMON will be suitably 'light'...

Comment

.......and maybe fantastic?

My God, the R3 planners have a nerve: actually marketing a religious service as an extension of 'the Light Fantastic' week of programmes.

Comment

I don't recall any previous CE from The Savoy Chapel .

According to Wikipedia they recruit their trebles at ages 11 and 12 which is very late considering boys voices are now breaking at 12 years old these days.

It will be interesting to hear them.

VCC

Comment

Gosh - are they poachers then?

Comment

The Rutter is as light as it gets.

Comment

Interestingly, the service on June 26th. listed as 'live' by R3, does not appear on the Chapel's own service list.
              Boys are from St Olave's GS.

Comment

...but a R3 announcer said today, "If you are going to attend the service, please be in your seats by 3.45" or words to that effect. So something must be happening.

Comment

This will be the first ever BBC Choral Evensong by the choir, nor have they ever produced a recording. They have a long a distinguished history, once having their own choir school and from 1919 until 1952 all the choristers were supplied by the London Choir School. After that date, they have been educated at St Olave's School.

Definately one of the forgotton choirs of London and one which I have researched for my book on Tractarian Choir Schools. I went to hear them last year - not only are they very good indeed but the service is pure 1662 Prayer Book and visitors are made most welcome.

So much looking forward to hearing their first CE broadcast.

Comment

just been looking at photos of the chapel on Flickr - what a gorgeous-coloured ceiling. Is that painted wood or painted plaster?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      just been looking at photos of the chapel on Flickr - what a gorgeous-coloured ceiling. Is that painted wood or painted plaster?
                      Not sure if wood or plaster but its a beautiful interior. Readers may also be interested to view two photos of the choir taking part in the 'Beating of the Bounds,' one from 1927 and one from 1955, which may be found on the Photographic Archive page, under 'Royal Peculiars' of my website. www.inquiresandplaces.com

Comment

mmmmm - looks like a cruel sport. thanks inqs.

Comment

Further to the boys at the Savoy Chapel being recruited at the rather late ages of 11 and 12 when their voices are about to beak, I visited a church in Oxfordshire today and on reading a copy of the diocesan paper noted an advertisement for choir open days at New College for boys aged three ( yes three) to six years old.

I can't imagine that Edward Higginbottom expects to start them at less than six and even then only if they can read well, surely he just wants to get them interested? But I suppose with voices breaking earlier boys will have to start younger than previously was the norm.

VCC

Comment

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
                            Further to the boys at the Savoy Chapel being recruited at the rather late ages of 11 and 12 when their voices are about to beak, I visited a church in Oxfordshire today and on reading a copy of the diocesan paper noted an advertisement for choir open days at New College for boys aged three ( yes three) to six years old.
                            VCC
                            I noticed on the St Edmundsbury website the other day that they run a 'colts' boys' choir - aged 7-10 - that sings a service once a month. That struck me as a very good idea that might be adopted more widely with benefit. But THREE! The mind boggles.....but if it works, go for it!

Comment

on my radio it sounds as if the microphones are in a different room from the choir at the Savoy Chapel, very distant

Comment

Working...
                              X