• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

A Little Jazz Mass

As it's light music week on R£, how about this:

The Choir of St James performs Bob Chilcott's 'A Little Jazz Mass' at a Choral Eucharist and Procession for Pentecost, St James' Church, King Street, Sydney,...

Warren Trevelyan Jones who is directing it is an old singing friend of mine (was in Wabbey choir) but has migrated down under.

But the big laugh is looking at the 3 priests...stangely uncomfortable with Bob Chilcott in jazz mode.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I don't mean to be odd
    but that really is dreadful
    on a par with Kiri Te Kanawa singing "I feel pretty" uuuuuuuurgh

It just sounds fake to me

nothing wrong with Jazz
    nothing wrong with the mass
    but this ???????

WHY ?

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

No comment....

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Crikey!!
        And standing that close to the choir, and facing the congregation until it's over..........nowhere to hide.
        Phew!

Comment

• decantor
          • Dec 2010

Though I do have a life beyond the virtual world, I listened to all of that. It struck me that, once jazz becomes well behaved and respectful, it loses its point. It just becomes 'OK' music. I was constantly reminded of prep school stage productions - Joseph, Holy Moses, Cap'n Noah. Fun yes, spiritually uplifting no. Do we have a "thumbs-down" icon?

Comment

• bach736
            • Nov 2010

Awful day Friday - largely due to the non arrival of some very expensive Morrissey tickets, a son's car breakdown and the wife's notification of an Ofsted inspection on Monday.
            Clicked on Ardcarp's link and found the Chilcott hugely entertaining - so much so that I was late for dinner. Truly awful stuff, I agree - and much in common with Will Todd stylistically, although somewhat richer harmony.
            Decantor is absolutely right about what defines jazz. A bit of syncopation and some augmented chords do not do the business.
            The music didn't really match the liturgy either but what was incredibly funny was how the three priests and the servers unconsciously timed their actions to the beat of the music - particularly during the Agnus - and in the Sanctus, their three bowed heads rose at one with a crescendo on a sustained chord. Absolutely brilliant.
            Popular music can often bring a new congregation into church but it can become an end in itself - nothing more than entertainment rather than an aid to worship. No sense of wonder.
            But then I have this nightmare where God says to Bach, ' Johann, you have served me well but I have to tell you, I cannot abide counterpoint!'

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

bach735 What a wonderful post! (But sorry about the probs in sentence 1) Yes, it was the priests' corybantics which drew me to this clip. Bob Chilcott belongs I suspect to a group of very sincere Christian composers who believe that the means justify the end....namely spreading the Gospel. If this means writing in a very 'approachable' style, then so be it. The snag is, 'approachable' for whom? Well, not jazz fans, not the yoof, not us (if I may speak for many). I do not mean to be in the least disparaging or disrespectful. On the contrary, I admire BC's commitment. One wonders, however, what drove JSB? Not the same set of values obviously. He certainly didn't court popularity and gave both his performers and listeners difficult and challenging stuff.

Comment

• hackneyvi

Is the Latin tinge to the music a pun?

I was led astray by the pictures on another Youtube clip a few weeks ago. It was a staggering piece of pianism which I only got when I closed my eyes. I agree that the context of the piece, the vestments and the grey heads in the pews, don't do the music any favours. But if you listen to the music alone or concentrate on the musical youths ..?

What about this? I rather admire the Taiwanese anyway so maybe there's some prejudice on my part.

2009 Musical Competition of Student in TaiwanChampion: Wan Fang Senior High SchoolRepertoire: A Little Jazz Mass - Kyrie & Gloria by Bob Chilcott2009全國音樂比...

I felt this youth choir sold the piece better but you may find the Chinese slightly off-beat dancing difficult. I was in China 20 years ago and remember spending a Saturday night in a provincial ballroom. My partner and I were - I think - the only people in the hall dancing to the waltz rhythm.
                Last edited by Guest; 25-06-11, 23:33.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Wow. The piece sounds altogether more comfortable in this setting. Pity IMO about the obligatory swaying. All from memory, all dressed like Western prep-school kids. Chairman Mao is no doubt turning in his grave!

Comment

• bach736
                    • Nov 2010

Just shows how important context is. Charming - and very well sung.
                    Corybantics, eh? Definitely 'word of the week'. Those priests of Cybele were pretty wild!

Comment

Working...
                    X