Bach Christmas Oratorio Neil Jenkins edition - recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARBurton
    • May 2011

Bach Christmas Oratorio Neil Jenkins edition - recording?

Evening all....anyone know of a recording of the Neil Jenkins edition of the Bach Christmas Oratorio? I`m struggling to find any references to one...
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

As far as my searches go, there doesn't ever seem to have been a recording of the "Oratorio" in English, ARB. Sorry.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

I remember singing some of the choruses from it in English when I was at school - 'Jauchzet, Frohlocket' was 'Christians be joyful!'

I guess we were singing from that edition, but you certainly wouldn't have wanted a recording of ours!!

Comment

• ARBurton
        • May 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        I remember singing some of the choruses from it in English when I was at school - 'Jauchzet, Frohlocket' was 'Christians be joyful!'

I guess we were singing from that edition, but you certainly wouldn't have wanted a recording of ours!!
        Oh I don`t know - it`s to help my mother with rehearsals with her choral society!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I guess we were singing from that edition
          Depends when you were at school, Micky - the Jenkins edition was published in 2000.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ARBurton View Post
            ...it`s to help my mother with rehearsals with her choral society!!
            Is she singing or conducting?

If she just needs help with her part, she can substitute the English translation as she follows her score. The notes of the choruses that haven't been omitted from the edition she's got can't be that different, surely?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Depends when you were at school, Micky - the Jenkins edition was published in 2000.
              No further progress with finding a recording, I regret, but Jenkins' introduction to his edition of the work is available online:

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Ah no, in which case it definitely wasn't that one - I was singing way back in 1976! But I do remember quite clearly that we sang it in English.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Ah no, in which case it definitely wasn't that one - I was singing way back in 1976! But I do remember quite clearly that we sang it in English.
                  The possibility did occur to me that you might have been on the Staff of the school to which you referred.

Themadays, you might have used the Troutbeck version, which was used in the old Novello vocal score ("Paper Boards 4s, Cloth 6s") - which indeed only printed the English text; no option of performing in the original language in them days! And, yes, the opening words are "Christians be joyful!"

Comment

• ARBurton
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    Is she singing or conducting?

If she just needs help with her part, she can substitute the English translation as she follows her score. The notes of the choruses that haven't been omitted from the edition she's got can't be that different, surely?
                    Oh only singing! Will see how we go - cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X