X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vox Humana
    • Dec 2012

Reprehensible?

Tonight’s edition of QI on BBC2 ended with a superb rendition of Arthur Warrell’s arrangement of We wish you a merry Christmas (as per CC1) from a body of singers announced as the ‘QI Audience Choir’. Considering their precision, rhymicality, tuning, diction and general top-notch drilling they were clearly much more than that. I watched the credits very closely, rewound them and scrolled through slowly, but… nothing. Who were they? The conductor, Neveille Creed, was credited, but there was no credit whatsoever for his choir. It struck me as contempuous, but typical of a BBC in which classical music always seems to be having to fight to keep its head above water.

Watch from 42:10 here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-9-o-christmas

Sorry, but I felt I had to vent.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
    Tonight’s edition of QI on BBC2 ended with a superb rendition of Arthur Warrell’s arrangement of We wish you a merry Christmas (as per CC1) from a body of singers announced as the ‘QI Audience Choir’. Considering their precision, rhymicality, tuning, diction and general top-notch drilling they were clearly much more than that. I watched the credits very closely, rewound them and scrolled through slowly, but… nothing. Who were they? The conductor, Neveille Creed, was credited, but there was no credit whatsoever for his choir. It struck me as contempuous, but typical of a BBC in which classical music always seems to be having to fight to keep its head above water.

Watch from 42:10 here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-9-o-christmas

Sorry, but I felt I had to vent.
    The LPC. Uncreditted for contractual reasons?

Comment

• Vox Humana
      • Dec 2012

Ah. Thanks for that. That explains it. The studio acoustic was very unflattering so I couldn't decide whether the voices were properly professional or just incredibly good amateurs. I'll have another listen.

It does seem a bit arcane if the choirs couldn't be credited though.
      Last edited by Vox Humana; 01-01-19, 02:22.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
        Ah. Thanks for that. That explains it. The studio acoustic was very unflattering so I couldn't decide whether the voices were properly professional or just incredibly good amateurs. I'll have another listen.

It does seem a bit arcane if the choirs couldn't be credited though.
        There may have been a contractual reason for the LPC not to be mentioned by name, but that didn’t stop them getting a high-profile slot and name-check on the Big Fat Quiz of the Year a year or two back. However, that wasn’t a BBC programme, so maybe that had something to do with it. The LPC and Neville Creed do seem to have a decent network, to be getting these gigs.

(If it was some sort of oversight, the LPC may sympathise with the BBC’s own Symphony Chorus, which repeatedly appears to be taken for granted. Just the latest example on Radio 3 had Ian Skelly announcing that on Christmas Eve there would be a broadcast of a complete performance of The Childhood of Christ given by the “BBC Symphony Orchestra and BBC Singers”. The latter had actually provided the off-stage semi-chorus, with the BBCSC doing the lion’s share of the choral work. Not to mention the soloists - and indeed they weren't mentioned, but I'm sure they won't be too worried since they got paid.)

Comment

Working...
        X