X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
    One lot of transport costs, not two. One set-up and take-down of equipment etc Quite a significant saving, I'd have thought.
    Yes indeed, if that was the case. I assumed that they did two separate set ups a week apart. But there doesn’t seem to be any cost saving point to that.
    Memory must be playing tricks, but they were definitely in pairs, and my recollection is that they all went out live.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
      Late Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      But there are lots of world famous cathedrals etc. Comparing KCC to, say Winchester or Salisbury isn't like comparing Man Utd and ASFC.
      I'm not sure that's true. Well-known in this country to followers of the choral music scene, yes, but beyond these shores, particularly outside the Anglophone world, I'm not really convinced.
      My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I'm not sure that's true. Well-known in this country to followers of the choral music scene, yes, but beyond these shores, particularly outside the Anglophone world, I'm not really convinced.
        I think Salisbury is quite famous - there are Russians who take a day trip just to pop over and admire the Cathedral.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

This raises the issue of the home vs the international market for such broadcasts. Over the years on R3 CE we’ve occasionally, though not recently, been able to enjoy broadcast Evensongs and Vespers from the US, Spain and other far-flung locations, but when it comes to television, the BBC has in living memory favoured KCC to the virtual exclusion of all other choirs in those regular Christmas and Easter slots. No doubt they are an easier sell to international broadcasting organisations than any other choir, but of course no other choir will ever achieve worldwide fame unless it gets sufficient exposure. The chicken and egg come to mind.

Surely a world-class outfit like the choir of St John’s, Cambridge, which can pack the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, is marketable enough to be given an Easter slot on BBC 2 or 4? Was it Sky TV, Classic FM or some other channel, that managed to stream a superb live service from St John’s chapel last year (or was it the year before?)? IMV it really is laziness on the BBC’s part not to attempt to diversify from the KCC stranglehold on Christmas and Easter ‘choral TV’, as if somehow King’s ‘owns’ these feasts. It’s sometimes said that Christmas has really begun when that solo treble begins the first verse of Once in Royal on the afternoon of Christmas Eve on Radio 4. That’s fine. It’s the repetitive television coverage I’m more concerned about, particularly at Easter, which perhaps isn’t quite so firmly associated with KCC in the public imagination as is Christmas.

And as far as the comparison with Accrington Stanley is concerned, if KCC is Man Utd, SJC must at least be Man City. Even Truro Cath. Ch. might be regarded as singing at the level of a decent South London club!
          Last edited by Keraulophone; 24-04-19, 02:14. Reason: typo

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Would be tempting to put together a 'Premier League' of Choral foundations in UK!!
            I'm with K'phone on this: St J's, CCCOx, Hereford, St A's, York et al deserve a more democratic 'voice'.
            Visually,seeing / hearing CE on TV etc in such places would demonstrate the potency of the choral tradition beyond KCC that we cherish and of which we are and should be justifiably proud.
            British choral foundations like CCCOX, St J's, Truro etc on tour eg in USA always. always draw huge audiences: ironically other lands may be telling us something about how and what we might value what we nurture here?

Comment

• jonfan
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Would be tempting to put together a 'Premier League' of Choral foundations in UK!!
              I'm with K'phone on this: St J's, CCCOx, Hereford, St A's, York et al deserve a more democratic 'voice'.
              Visually,seeing / hearing CE on TV etc in such places would demonstrate the potency of the choral tradition beyond KCC that we cherish and of which we are and should be justifiably proud.
              British choral foundations like CCCOX, St J's, Truro etc on tour eg in USA always. always draw huge audiences: ironically other lands may be telling us something about how and what we might value what we nurture here?
              We don’t need a premier league of choirs as we are not in the business of winners and losers. Any choir that’s been on CE during the past year would be suitable for a tv spot IMO. The Mascagni showed how low inspiration has sunk for the annual KCC outing. There’s plenty of music written for cathedral and collegiate choirs without resorting to the operatic canon - Nessun Dorma perhaps?

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Oh, FGS, it was a JOKE.
                Crikey!

Comment

• jonfan
                  • Dec 2010

Oh, FGS, it was a JOKE.
                  Crikey!
                  Erm it's no joke that KCC are the only choir in existence according to BBC TV.
                  Last edited by jonfan; 23-04-19, 14:55. Reason: Typo

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

The joke was about a Premier League.

I sadly agree with you a great deal about KCC being apparently the only choir in existence for BBC TV..........eheu!

Comment

• Spdrgn
                      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                      This raises the issue of the home vs the international market for such broadcasts. Over the years on R3 CE we’ve occasionally, though not recently, been able to enjoy broadcast Evensongs and Vespers from the US, Spain and other far-flung locations, but when it comes to television, the BBC has in living memory favoured KCC to the virtual exclusion of all other choirs in those regular9 Christmas and Easter slots. No doubt they are an easier sell to international broadcasting organisations than any other choir, but of course no other choir will ever achieve worldwide fame unless it gets sufficient exposure. The chicken and egg come to mind.

Surely a world-class outfit like the choir of St John’s, Cambridge, which can pack the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, is marketable enough to be given an Easter slot on BBC 2 or 4? Was it Sky TV, Classic FM or some other channel, that managed to stream a superb live service from St John’s chapel last year (or was it the year before?)? IMV it really is laziness on the BBC’s part not to attempt to diversify from the KCC stranglehold on Christmas and Easter ‘choral TV’, as if somehow King’s ‘owns’ these feasts. It’s sometimes said that Christmas has really begun when that solo treble begins the first verse of Once in Royal on the afternoon of Christmas Eve on Radio 4. That’s fine. It’s the repetitive television coverage I’m more concerned about, particularly at Easter, which perhaps isn’t quite so firmly associated with KCC in the public imagination as is Christmas.

And as far as the comparison with Accrington Stanley is concerned, if KCC is Man Utd, SJC must at least be Man City. Even Truro Cath. Ch. might be regarded as singing at the level of a decent South London club!
                      Yes, a St John’s service was live-streamed on the Classic FM Facebook page last year - and I think they’re doing it again this Friday (26th) 18.30-19.15

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                        Late Member
                        • Dec 2010

Oh, FGS, it was a JOKE.
                        Crikey!
                        Obviously some here aren't old enough to remember the Milk Marketing Board TV ad from the 1980s.
                        My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Surely a world-class outfit like the choir of St John’s, Cambridge, which can pack the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, is marketable enough to be given an Easter slot on BBC 2 or 4? Was it Sky TV, Classic FM or some other channel, that managed to stream a superb live service from St John’s chapel last year (or was it the year before?)? IMV it really is laziness on the BBC’s part not to attempt to diversify from the KCC stranglehold on Christmas and Easter ‘choral TV’, as if somehow King’s ‘owns’ these feasts.
                          As a Johnian, I welcome the idea of more exposure for St John's College Choir, especially at the expense of King's . However, as noted somewhere above, the visual aspect has to be highly significant in the choice, and my guess is the director/producer will have a huge say. I would be interested to see a whole hour of television made in St John's Chapel, which simply can't compete with the King's building.

However much could be done by filming in other parts of the College - the eternally photogenic Bridge of Sighs with passing punts, the neo-gothic 'Wedding Cake' of Third Court, the old Library, the Fellows' Garden: but it would not be a traditional' televised chapel service. (Perhaps so much the better!)

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            As a Johnian, I welcome the idea of more exposure for St John's College Choir, especially at the expense of King's . However, as noted somewhere above, the visual aspect has to be highly significant in the choice, and my guess is the director/producer will have a huge say. I would be interested to see a whole hour of television made in St John's Chapel, which simply can't compete with the King's building. However much could be done by filming in other parts of the College...
                            My OP acknowledged the near certainty that a television producer would far prefer to film in King’s chapel than in St John’s Chapel, which incidentally, celebrates the 150th anniversary of its consecration on 12th May this year. Their choir has just released a commemorative CD ‘Locus iste’ on their own record label: https://www.sjcchoir.co.uk/news/hist...hapel-part-one

As you suggest, kernelbogey, there must be creative and imaginative alternatives to filming exclusively in the chapel of St John’s, and I commend the idea of including views of other photogenic areas of the college. The overriding benefit, however, is that viewers would be able to watch, as well as listen to, a collegiate choir without peer and at the absolute top of its form. Mr Nethsingha has brought the choir to a peak of excellence unrivalled anywhere IMO, let alone just in Cambridge (...and by the bye, kb, I write as someone who once applied for a scholarship to the college, but was turned down! ).

Comment

• Keraulophone
                              • Nov 2010

if KCC is Man Utd, SJC must at least be Man City

The latest from Old Trafford today:

Manchester United 0 - Manchester City 2

Comment

Working...
                              X