CE Royal School of Church Music Summer Course Wed, May 1st 2019 [A]
    From Hereford Cathedral - first broadcast 29 August 1990

Order of Service:

Responses: Sanders
    Psalms 142, 143 (Battishill, How)
    First Lesson: 2 Samuel 18 v.19 – 19 v.8a
    Second Lesson: Acts 4: 23-31
    Canticles: Atkins in G
    Anthem: The Lord Is My Shepherd (Stanford)

Voluntary: Toccata in D minor (Buxtehude)

Peter King (Organist)
    Martin How (Director)

An archive recording from Hereford Cathedral with the 1990 RSCM Summer Course Choir.
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

This strikes me as a bit of an odd choice for an archive broadcast, but I'm probably missing something.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Totally agree.

Comment

• mopsus
        • Nov 2010

Yes, some of those RSCM evensongs could be a bit touch and go. I remember one in particular where the teenage back row was really struggling and could have done with a little reinforcement, but it wasn't from Hereford.

Comment

• Vox Humana
          • Dec 2012

Presumably the people at the Beeb vet these archived programmes before choosing which ones to re-broadcast? Or are they totally random?

Comment

• mopsus
            • Nov 2010

I don't think they are randomly chosen. I have listened to as many of these broadcasts as I can for many years, and in the days before iPlayer/BBC Sounds I used to record them. If I was particularly impressed, which happened a few times a year, I'd keep the recording. My impression is that 'archive' broadcasts dating from the years I did this are more likely to be among those that I kept, than would be the case if they were randomly selected.
            Last edited by mopsus; 25-04-19, 21:16.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• mw963
                • Feb 2012

Penny Gore announced the opening item as the Adagio from Mendelssohn's Organ Sonata no 2. In my copy it's Sonata no 1.

Can Radio 3 get nothing right?

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Boys on top line? Or mostly
                  Hmm...........dullish repertoire, I fear
                  Enthusiastic, even a bit shouty?
                  Some decent organ playing.

Comment

• mw963
                    • Feb 2012

Glorious Evensong. Not a trace of inappropriate vibrato, the top line sounded young and bright and clean

And I would contend again that the technical balance achieved was excellent, as it almost always was back in those days. What slightly surprised me was the absence of the action-clicking on the organ which is something I very much associate with Hereford....

On the contrary - great to hear the "repertoire" you so despise DracoM. Can't remember hearing Atkins since that broadcast, whereas certain composers have had far more than their fair share..... (no names, no pack drill).
                    Last edited by mw963; 01-05-19, 17:18.

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
                      Glorious Evensong. Not a trace of inappropriate vibrato, the top line sounded young and bright and clean

And I would contend again that the technical balance achieved was excellent, as it almost always was back in those days. What slightly surprised me was the absence of the action-clicking on the organ which is something I very much associate with Hereford....
                      Agreed. A very enjoyable listen, lovely balance to the recording. I thought both the Mendelssohn and Buxtehude organ pieces sounded superb.

Comment

• omega consort
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                        Agreed. A very enjoyable listen, lovely balance to the recording. I thought both the Mendelssohn and Buxtehude organ pieces sounded superb.
                        Yes....excellent stuff - nice unhurried psalm singing with two super chants. It was very encouraging at the time what the RSCM could produce from the multitude of English church choirs dotted around the country. I wonder whether this still happens now in the Summer (I know there are still Summer courses arranged by the RSCM, but I don't know whether they still have separate boys and girls courses, courses for young adults etc). Martin How was certainly a legend then for what he produced and, I believe still around and active (playing at Croydon Minster?)

Comment

• jonfan
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post

On the contrary - great to hear the "repertoire" you so despise DracoM. Can't remember hearing Atkins since that broadcast, whereas certain composers have had far more than their fair share..... (no names, no pack drill).
                          A bit of a shock here but I totally agree with mw963, well almost. A lovely worship-ready atmosphere created by Peter King at the start with delicate solo stops; and a thrilling final Buxtehude with cascades of reeds. Fantastic
                          Lovely singing throughout and the quite mature sounding men had a field day in the Atkins (new to me but it sounded a load of fun). Good to hear the Stanford which doesn’t get many outings on CE.
                          Very much of the period with serious delivery of the prayers; incredible the programme is nearly 30 years old, from another age, before girls on the top line. (Surely there were some today?). The balance seemed odd to me with the top line a long way away in another room, but that was the style then which seems to please people here.

Comment

• weston752
                            • Nov 2010

An interesting broadcast, particularly as I was one of the participants (and not as a treble!): I have not sung the Atkins since. The original broadcast began with only the last few bars of the Mendelssohn being transmitted. The top line was all-male, and yes, Martin How is still very much alive and active!

Comment

• mw963
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                              A bit of a shock here but I totally agree with mw963, well almost..
                              Well as I think I said a few months ago, I suspect that over a pint or two we'd find we agreed about a great deal..... Long may it last.

Comment

Working...
                              X