Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE St Davids Cathedral Wed, 29th May 2019 [L]

CE St Davids Cathedral
    Eve of the Ascension

Order of Service:

Introit: O clap your hands (Vaughan Williams)
    Responses: Rose
    Office hymn: The head that once was crowned with thorns (St Magnus)
    Psalms 15, 24 (Hurford, Thalben-Ball)
    First Lesson: 2 Samuel 23 vv.1-5
    Canticles: St Paul’s Service (Howells)
    Second Lesson: Colossians 2 v.20 – 3 v.4
    Anthem: God is gone up (Owain Park) - first performance
    Hymn: Hail the day that sees him rise (Llanfair)

Voluntary: Ricercar on ‘Llanfair’ (David Briggs)

Simon Pearce (Assistant Director of Music)
    Oliver Waterer (Organist and Master of the Choristers)

• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder: just about to start.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Good, lively singing, partic top line. Yes, reasonably accessible repertoire, but it was worth tuning in just for the anthem and vol.

Comment

• jonfan
        • Dec 2010

Very enjoyable CE. Lovely choice of chants from two of last century’s greatest organists. Stunning organ playing throughout with clear engineering giving a presence of being there in the front row. The glory, as always here, is the stunning top line worthy of an Oxbridge college and singing with confidence, purity of tone and impeccable intonation. Oliver Waterer has been the longest serving DOM at St Davids for many years and it shows with the high standards maintained in this smallest of cities. Lovely Howells’ canticles (they have sung Howells at their last three CEs if memory serves me right). The new anthem suited the choir and a good addition to the repertoire.
        Thank you St Davids.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
            Late Member
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
            Oliver Waterer has been the longest serving DOM at St Davids for many years and it shows with the high standards maintained in this smallest of cities.
            That's not quite accurate: he has been there for nearly six years now. Both Geraint Bowen (1995–2001) and Tim Noon (2001–7) before him worked there for six years.
            My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• jonfan
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
              That's not quite accurate: he has been there for nearly six years now. Both Geraint Bowen (1995–2001) and Tim Noon (2001–7) before him worked there for six years.
              Thanks for clarifying Miles. He’s nearly caught them up. After Tim Noon I think there were two in quick succession.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                Late Member
                • Dec 2010

That's true. Alexander Mason was there 2007–11 and Daniel Cook 2011–13.
                My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

This was a fine Choral Evensong, sung with life, vigour, accuracy and confidence.The organ playing was excellent, adding an edge of excitement and brilliance to the occasion. My one note of caution concerns the new anthem by Owain Park. It was written with a wonderful confidence and a sure knowledge of what a composer may expect from his singers and organist. It sounded grand, but, I felt that such a talented composer should throw off the shackles and shades of those he imitates so profusely, and reveal the real Owain Park: warts, difficulties et al.. I'm ready to be shocked, Owain!

I loved the Howells!

Comment

• mopsus
                    • Nov 2010

If you're ever visiting St David's, Simon Pearce's extravagant improvisations are well worth listening to!

Comment

Working...
                    X