No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE Tavistock Parish Church [R] Wed, Sept 4th 2019

CE Tavistock Parish Church
    With the Exon Singers (recorded 2nd Aug)

Order of Service:

Introit: Ave maris stella (Grieg)
    Responses: Radcliffe
    Psalms 22, 23 (Walford Davies, Walford Davies)
    First Lesson: Job 38: 1, 4-11
    Office hymn: Te lucis ante terminum (Plainsong)
    Canticles: Dyson in F
    Second Lesson: Mark 4: 35-41
    Anthems:
    Nocturnes (Sure on this shining night
    Epilogue: Voici le soir) (Morten Lauridsen)

Hymn: Eternal Father, strong to save (Melita)

Voluntary: Prelude and Fugue in B minor (Willan)

Alan Horsey (Organist)
    Joseph Judge (Director of Music)

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

I enjoyed this service very much bringing calm to troubled souls!! I'd describe the singing as limpid, hanging in the air in the Grieg and gentle singing of the canticles with a sensitively sung solo. The Psalms were my favourite part of the service with two timeless classic Walford Davies chants. The engineering balance suited the intimate acoustic perfectly with a nicely distant choral sound but with great clarity. The slightly out of tune piano contributed to the small country church atmosphere just right. Thank you all at Tavistock, made my day!!

Comment

... we Devonians think of 'a small country church' as seating a congregation of 40 max with choir-stalls (if any) accommodating four trebles, a couple of men and a dog. Tavistock is on a slightly larger scale. And it has more than four stops on the organ.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          ... we Devonians think of 'a small country church' as seating a congregation of 40 max with choir-stalls (if any) accommodating four trebles, a couple of men and a dog. Tavistock is on a slightly larger scale. And it has more than four stops on the organ.
          No insult intended. The whole felt quite intimate in atmosphere which is what I found attractive. With radio you can be transported to where ever you believe in your imagination.

Comment

No insult given or taken! Good that the Exons are still going strong and getting their annual CE slot. (I'm an ex- member BTW)

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              No insult given or taken! Good that the Exons are still going strong and getting their annual CE slot. (I'm an ex- member BTW)
              me too - so many of us have moved through their ranks over their 50+ years of existence.

Comment

Is anyone writing a book about the Exon?

Comment

Working...
                X