• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE: Norwich Cathedral Wed: 11th Sept 2019

CE: Norwich Cathedral [Rec Aug 7th] Wed: 11th Sept 2019
    Royal School of Church Music Millennium Youth Choir

Order of Service:

Introit: Breathe on me, breath of God (Philip Wilby)
    Responses: Ayleward
    Psalm 37 (Goss, Barnby, Day)
    First Lesson: 1 Samuel 11 vv.1-15
    Canticles: New College Service (Alexander L’Estrange)
    Second Lesson: Luke 22 vv.39-46
    Anthem: Blessed city, heavenly Salem (Bairstow)

Voluntary: Postlude in D minor (Stanford)

Daniel Cook (Organist)
    Adrian Lucas (Director of Music)

Didn’t realise they had new music director.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      I don't think they have https://www.cathedral.org.uk/home/wo...music-organist but Adrian Lucas is a former Norwich incumbent and now freelance so perhaps he was doing a guest/special occasion slot?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        I don't think they have https://www.cathedral.org.uk/home/wo...music-organist but Adrian Lucas is a former Norwich incumbent and now freelance so perhaps he was doing a guest/special occasion slot?
        Ah yes, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          It's not Norwich Cathedral Choir. Adrian Lucas has conducted the RSCM Millennium Youth Choir for a while now, I think.
          My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

I've got behind and still have to catch up on Tavistock (which judging by the comments I shall enjoy!) but I did hear the voluntary of this broadcast.

Was it just me or was it a pretty unsympathetic rendition of the Stanford? It was almost as though the organist liked neither the piece nor the organ.

Probably subjective and unwarranted criticism on my part, but I was left disappointed.....

Will download the broadcast and have another listen......

Comment

I thought the voluntary was very fast and due to this, lost some of it's pomp. As to the rest of the broadcast, the singing was lovely and fresh! Well done the RSCM Millennium Choir! Sops (including the various soloists) were spot on and the men (most of whom I assume are late-teen did very well. The recording was odd to my ears - sounded like they were in a tunnel - though the stalls are so close together at Norwich perhaps that effect is how it is in the building? I've never liked the organ there - a huge opaque instrument at best. Canticles were very interesting; I will certainly listen to them again!

Comment

Rpt today @ 3 p.m.
                  Last edited by DracoM; 15-09-19, 15:42.

Comment

Working...
                  X