Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing ones mind...

I'd just like to say again how brilliant the new sie is and to add my thanks to those of others for setting it all up, FF. Great to keep in touch with cyber friends.

Can anyone tell me how to delete completely a message (including a blank box) if one suddenly has second thoughts?

ardgarp,

I've just tested the deletion of a post and it seemed to totally remove it.

1. Edit the post
    2. Click on the Delete option
    3. then select the Delete radio button which appears below where the Save/Delete/etc options are
    4. Click on the (second) Delete option at the bottom
    (You might have to scroll down to see 3. and 4.)

At least it worked for me!
    Last edited by johnb; 01-12-10, 15:37.

Comment

I'm also not clear about this. If you wish to delete so that no one can see what you wrote, as johnb said, first delete the words (you can write 'deleted' if you like), then delete the message. If it is still generally visible as a deleted message, I shall probably come along and remove it totally (can the member do that?). But leaving it as a 'deleted message' means an Adminstrator can read it, which is why you should edit out what you wrote before you delete the message. Then I don't think even I can discover the words you wanted to remove!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I just created a message, followed the instructions on the tin, and it worked. (I was a bit confused about pressing two delete buttons, and it seemed a palaver.

Comment

I've just posted a test message and then deleted it in the way I explained in a previous post.

I didn't bother to erase any text in the message.

As far as I can tell the message was completely deleted.

[Edit] The deleted message is probably still held in the forum database but tagged as deleted and not displayed. So, as FF says, if you don't want the administrators to be able to see the text - delete the text [Edit] and Save, before you delete the message.

[Edit 2] Don, sorry, I didn't see your message before doing my own test.
          Last edited by johnb; 01-12-10, 16:22.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
            I've just posted a test message and then deleted it in the way I explained in a previous post.
            [Edit 2] Don, sorry, I didn't see your message before doing my own test.
            That's because I deleted it first!

Comment

Okay, but there is still an 'issue'. If I'm logged in as 'french frank', Administrator, when I look at The Choir MB homepage I can see an icon indicating that 2 posts have been deleted. When I investigate, I can see both as 'This message has been deleted by johnb/Don Basilio' and if I use my 'View' button I can see what you wrote.

This is why if you really don't want anyone to see what you wrote, you delete the words (and probably Save) before deleting the message. I didn't realise that you couldn't see the signs of the deletions. I wouldn't want to pry ...

I usually go through and tidy up by deleting the last vestiges
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

PS I've just deleted/physically removed both, but I see I have the option to restore them too. I think I shall routinely forego this option and delete - so you really can't change your mind at a later date!

Comment

Working...
                X