Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the Peoples Sing, 2019

Should have highlighted this before. I'm currently listening to the finals live from Barcelona on YouTube. The sound quality is pretty grim, but the singing is superb.
    End of the coral competition of the European Union of Broadcasters. 300 singers and nine choirs from various countries compete for the first time at the Pala...

OMG. Just watched Wells girls. FABULOUS. I really feel ashamed not to know where this is being broadcast. Is it only on Youtube? Wot no BBC?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      OMG. Just watched Wells girls. FABULOUS. I really feel ashamed not to know where this is being broadcast. Is it only on Youtube? Wot no BBC?
      Aren't they just? I was privileged to hear Choralia perform their programme live at Wells last weekend (in a joint concert with the Norddeutscher Figuralchor from Hamburg and the Bristol Bach Choir) and if anything they were even better than they were in the competition tonight - particularly in Katerina Gimon's 'Fire'. Tonight's final was held in Barcelona, though I don't know the venue. Catalunya Ràdio had a TV stream too in addition to YouTube, but the sound was no better.

Edit: Just noticed that the venue is posted in the YouTube captions: Palau de la Música Catalana.
      Last edited by Vox Humana; 13-10-19, 23:30.

Comment

What a great shame that (given the BBC hasn't) Medici TV didn't take on this competition as they did the Leeds Piano Competition.
        OK, good for Youtube without whom we wouldn't have seen it at all, but both the picture and sound quality were poor NOT TO MENTION the intrusion of albeit short ad breaks at inappropriate times. The youth choir final was won by a Russian choir...with a few boys in it....and they were deserved winners; but it must have been a close-run thing between them and Wells. Both had immaculate tuning and ensemble, both presented themselves brilliantly and both included some innovative music as part of their programme. Mrs A and I so enjoyed this in the wee small hours. Thoroughly recommend watching.

From the link in Vox's OP, Wells is on first and the Russians third...with a very worthy choir in between.

Comment

Yes, all that.....quite agree. One or two of the youth ensembles particularly were ear-catching
          BUT
          the influence of American semi-dance moves in presentation, American-slanted techniques etc wearied me.
          Technically fine, but the content was what worried. A bit relentless?
          Last edited by DracoM; 14-10-19, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            the influence of American semi-dance moves in presentation, American-slanted techniques etc wearied me.
            Technically fine, but the content was what worried. A bit relentless?
            I'm inclined to agree. I thought the actions actually enhanced Gimon's Fire, but were otherwise entirely dispensable. I thought that the Spanish youth choir, who technically were almost up to the standard of the other two (yes, it must have been a close call) positively over-acted in their slot. I couldn't work out how their moves were related to the music at all. Fortunately the judges' representative made it clear that they were giving most weight to the singing.

Comment

Fortunately the judges' representative made it clear that they were giving most weight to the singing.
              Good. But I agree that it's a shame a choir can't just 'stand and deliver'. Maybe judges should be behind screens (like the unseen examiners used to be in RCO exams!) I got the impression, however, that there was some real enjoyment of movement among some of the participants.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                Good. But I agree that it's a shame a choir can't just 'stand and deliver'. Maybe judges should be behind screens (like the unseen examiners used to be in RCO exams!) I got the impression, however, that there was some real enjoyment of movement among some of the participants.
                Yes, I think there was. Surely the brilliant barbershop group that won the trophy would have lost something had they just stood there like singing statues? Maybe any actions should be entirely optional and not part of the judging. I'd also like to see the Eurovision Song Contest too judged solely on the songs - not that anything we see and hear on TV is remotely relevant to the voting, from what I understand!

Comment

Eurovision Song Contest
                  Never heard of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X