Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fruit of Silence at Truro Cathedral - R3 Tue 29 Oct 7.30 pm

The City of London Sinfonia and Truro Cathedral Choir perform contemporary choral music.

I make no apology for bringing this imaginatively planned concert to your notice, even if it does include my daughter singing soprano 1 in the duet in the James MacMillan piece at the start, composed in memory of those who died in the Dunblane school massacre in 1996. The lower parts chant ‘Welcome’ (to heaven) while the souls of two children soar aloft. Much of the other music in the concert is just as effective, sung by Truro Cathedral Choir (boys, girls and A, T, B) and played by the City of London Sinfonia in various chamber-sized groups located around the cathedral, coming together for the Tabakova at the end.

Incidentally, our new Tabakova CD, with the BBC Concert Orchestra is just out: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...orks-for-choir

Thanks so much for this heads up K. Looking forward to it!

Comment

I'd love to go but we only get down for periodic family visits - next in December.
      I've looked on the cathedral website but couldn't find any dates for Advent or Carol concerts, do you know if they have been published yet?

Comment

Hi gradus,

This is a concert recorded a couple of weeks ago and on the radio tonight.

When I return from Venice at the weekend I can let you know those details you seek.

Bws, K.

Comment

Many thanks.

Comment

Dobrinka Tabakove 'Truro Canticles' - sung by the cathedral choir - on Breakfast this morning, towards the end.

Comment

And more Tabakova and TCChoir just finished on EC - plus plenty of mention of the concert this evening.

Comment

Excellent!

It helps to have commissioned Dobrinka to write several pieces for the Truro girl choristers while she was also the composer-in-residence with the BBC Concert Orchestra. Her ‘Kynance Cove’ piece is performed on the CD by the BBCCO & Truro choirs.

Comment

Just heard the whole concert. Huge congrats to the two soloists who started the concert off...what control! A shame the concert...more of an event really...could not have been on TV so that we could have experienced the spatial elements. I am not especially fond of the minimalist tendency, but I guess for a spiritual experience it is effective. Arvo Part, however, is someone I do respect. Not sure Fratres received its best outing, however. A bit wobbly at times. I was surprised to hear some familiar words (Traherne, known best to musicians via Finzi's Dies Natalis) in the final Dobrinka piece. Well done to Truro choir for some excellent controlled singing.

Comment

Totally agree about TV coverage - real missed opportunity.

Comment

So glad I listened to this, overall most effective with some standout glorious moments. Having looked at what this was part of( 8 cathedrals, eight different choral groups), all credit to CLS for their vision and hard work. In these chaotic, frustrating and depressing times thank goodness for music and those who are still bringing it to us.

Comment

Working...
                      X