Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Chapel of Rugby School [R] Wed, 11th Dec 2019

CE Chapel of Rugby School [R] Wed, 11th Dec 2019
    (recorded 23rd April)

Order of Service:

Introit: O Radiant Dawn (Macmillan)
    Responses: Radcliffe
    Psalms 59, 60, 61 (Barnby, Howells, Stainer)
    First Lesson: Amos 9: 11-15
    Canticles: Collegium Regale (Howells)
    Second Lesson: Romans 13: .8-14
    Anthem: All Wisdom cometh from the Lord (Philip Moore)

Voluntary: Fantasy on Veni Emmanuel, Op 72 No 5 (Leighton)

Greg Morris (Organist)
    Richard Tanner (Director of Music)

• Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

More Philip Moore

Comment

• Wolsey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      More Philip Moore
      ...and the same voluntary as heard at Lichfield, apparently.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Indeed.
        All part of the Beeb's planning / trailing for the 'new' carol in KCC's Christmas Fest?

Comment

• Finzi4ever
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
          ...and the same voluntary as heard at Lichfield, apparently.
          that's what careful planning achieves...

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
            that's what careful planning achieves...
            At least it's seasonally appropriate, which is probably because Rugby DID plan ahead (assuming that they were told when the broadcast would be!).
            So one wonders who chose the Archive service, without looking ahead to see what was coming up next.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

I did not infer that Rugby Sch were at fault, just wondered at the BBC's planning.
              BUT, to be fair,
              If you record in April, play in December, following Lichfield also in December, albeit an Arch., etc etc etc, I doubt ANYONE knew [or cared much?] that there would be such a repeat of the vol?

Hey ho! Sigh.

Comment

• mopsus
                • Nov 2010

We have had some repeats close together even in the days before there were so many repeats, sorry archive broadcasts. I recall an anthem by Mendelssohn (forget which) that came round twice in one month because once it was sung in German and once in English.

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Can’t beat live

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Well, 'fraid this CE ain't 'live'.
                    BUT it's broadcast at 3.30 p.m. THIS Wednesday [ i.e. today] afternoon on R3!!

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                      Late Member
                      • Dec 2010

I have to say I don't understand this fetishisation of live broadcasts. If you were to turn on your radio in the middle of this broadcast, and you didn't know whether it was live or not, how could you actually tell?
                      My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
                        I have to say I don't understand this fetishisation of live broadcasts. If you were to turn on your radio in the middle of this broadcast, and you didn't know whether it was live or not, how could you actually tell?
                        Isn't it more that the prevalence of archive and recorded (even if closely following a live broadcast) services is actually reducing the number of visits made each year to broadcast live services, so fewer places and their choirs are participating?

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

.....and as a perhaps ominous corollary, reducing the BBC's encouragement for a whole new series of generations of young singers / composers /organists / conductors etc who might / will / must become the spine of a major music-making body over the next decades. To say nothing of the role models / teachers of the future that come out of such coverage.

Beeb looking scaredly down, constantly checking wallet, eyes staring at the ground under its own shuffling feet rather than at new horizons.

Shame.
                          Last edited by DracoM; 11-12-19, 17:00.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

Whether Recorded or live , and despite the repetition , I very much enjoyed the singing in this broadcast and from a school that I had not, in my ignorance , readily linked to the Anglican choral tradition.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, there was some great, confident singing. The ATB (as part of the choir) blended extraordinarily well for adolescents. And the sopranos sounded incredibly mature. Did the Moore anthem remind anyone of Britten, e.g. Rejoice in the Lamb ?

On the subject of live broadcasts, I sort of understand Miles's point...

BUT there is something special, a sort of frisson if you like, about a live broadcast. This is a ridiculous example, but does anyone remember That Was the Week That Was on TV back in the sixties? There was always the chance that something would either go wrong or turn out brilliantly...and it was so exciting. Back to CE (!) No you probably wouldn't know if you switched on at random whether it was live or not; but knowing it is live is rather special. And if you take part in a live CE (as I have and no doubt Miles has) the word 'frisson' takes on a new meaning.

Comment

Working...
                              X