No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas around Europe

Now playing on Radio 3

Yes I’m listening. I always feel that this is the musical equivalent of consuming an entire tub of Quality Street in one go. After a while the four square harmonies and overly familiar tunes pall a little . It is however interesting to hear the Danish take on a King’s Carol service- some good singing. Also some very good English diction.

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      Yes I’m listening. I always feel that this is the musical equivalent of consuming an entire tub of Quality Street in one go. After a while the four square harmonies and overly familiar tunes pall a little . It is however interesting to hear the Danish take on a King’s Carol service- some good singing. Also some very good English diction.

That's a tad patronising, I would suggest, since many Europeans, especially from countries with small populations, speak English better than most of us do.

Comment

I wasn't going to start off in the role of critic...but I've joined the programme with the Danish National Choir, and I wish they hadn't decided on the Tallis Puer Natus Mass. They make it sound like someone 'stamping out jam tarts' as spmeone put it. Where's the sense of line? For the carols, as Helden says, there is some good singing too. Maybe
        the four square harmonies and overly familiar tunes
        sound less hackneyed to the foreign ear.

Comment

Ardcarp - The four square ref was really to the Austrian A Capella men on earlier .
          LmcD - Yes one or two English choirs could pick up a few diction tips from the excellent Danes...no names no packdrill as my Dad used to say...

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
            As I'm not familiar with the music of such places as Lithuania, Estonia, Bulgaria etc I don't have that problem with these broadcasts. The mix varies each year; last year's I thought was the best for some time. This year I'm not going to be able to listen to the whole broadcast, but that is an advantage of this format - dipping in and out doesn't matter.

Comment

Estonian stuff fantastic, close to / is actually folk + improvised harmonies, and all the better for it and away from some of the super-embroidered drilled choir tat we get to sing these days over Christmas.

Comment

dipping in and out doesn't matter.

And I'm dipping into Estonia at the moment whilst struggling too many boxes of lights and other seasonal bric-a-brac from the loft.

Was all too happy to dip out of flat Spanish sopranos. Bah humbug.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  And I'm dipping into Estonia at the moment whilst struggling too many boxes of lights and other seasonal bric-a-brac from the loft.
                  With my still wonky vision, I read the last word as "Left" and thought I was on the "Ballot Box Fun" Thread!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Ferney, I've left the left loft and the right loft 'cos the middle loft is the right loft for the bric-a-brac. I suppose we could still be talking about our political parties.

Comment

The 'everything but the kitchen sink' promo for the In Tune Christmas special was an unpleasant intrusion just before the 2pm junction.

Caught the second half of the 11am segment from Spain - will listen back to the full hour later - the highlight for me so far I think.

Comment

The second half (Soler) wasn't so bad as the singers were propped up by an orchestra. The first half (polyphony + a small organ) suffered from some fairly dire pitch problems.

Comment

Thanks for the warning ardcarp. Will apply a critical if sadly untrained ear later!

Comment

Not warming to these weirdly ploddingly jazzed up Xmas pop songs . A bit like being in a dystopian shopping centre of the future . I am in dire need of a restorative from Rugby School....

Comment

Lovely radio for doing decorations, cooking gingerbread people etc.

Which, I suppose, is a good thing.

Once a year.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X