• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Lark Ascending - choir version

Not sure if this is the right thread but the [somewhat mis-named?] afternoon concert included the arrangement for solo violin and choir of VW's Lark Ascending.

The BBC Philharmonic in Vaughan Williams and the BBC Singers perform on the Cutty Sark.

....about 1hr 37 mins from start. BBC Singers plus violinist whose name I did not catch...and not credited on the website.

Somewhere on Youtube is Nigel Kennedy and the Swedish Radio Choir.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 15-01-20, 00:36.
  • Edgy 2
    • Jan 2019

Nooooooo

Driving home from Salford,after watching the brilliant John Wilson conduct RVW 6,it came on the radio,instant switch over to TalkSport.

Love the piece to bits but not like this.

Elodie Chousmer-Howells was the soloist btw.
    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Inclined to agree...and I'm not too keen on the piano version either. The string sonority seems so 'right'.

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
        Banned
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
        Nooooooo

Driving home from Salford,after watching the brilliant John Wilson conduct RVW 6,it came on the radio,instant switch over to TalkSport.

I suppose you don't like the reggae version either?

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Felix The Gnat View Post

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Might be an improvement on the BBC Singers, though.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Sorry - turned it off after mere seconds. One whiff of BBCS and.................

Comment

• Once Was 4
                • Jul 2011

Hmmm! Reminds me of a student friend (who in time made it to the LSO and to the London session scene) who hated The Dream of Gerontious so much that he devised a 'Dream of Gerontious Rag' number.

And of course there was the pianist who distilled the 'good bits' (Victor Borge?) of Wagner's Ring cycle down to a few minutes (or is my memory at fault again?)

Grrrrr

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                  Nooooooo

Elodie Chousmer-Howells was the soloist btw.
                  I think it could work but the singing needs to be gentler for the most part.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Once Was 4 View Post

And of course there was the pianist who distilled the 'good bits' (Victor Borge?) of Wagner's Ring cycle down to a few minutes (or is my memory at fault again?)

Anna Russell? [28 mins]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                      Anna Russell? [28 mins]
                      https://youtu.be/eN5dAQLYYrs
                      ... and/or Chabrier (10mins):

Souvenirs de Munich, quadrille on themes from Wagner's "Tristan and Isolde" for piano, 4 hands: "Pantalon, Eté, Poule, Pastourelle, Galop"Pinuccia Giarmanà &...
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                        • Jan 2014

I think Agnus Dei (Barber) and the arrangement of Nimrod (Elgar is in the clear, after his time) "Lux Aeterna" - choral arrangements - are abominations and I make my view clear to any choral director who I work with (not that it has any effect I suspect - but it makes it clear why, when I absent myself from participating in a concert including them).

I think I heard a Lark ascending arrangement with Accordion (an instrument I don't disregard on principle) - possibly in a late night slot. Can't recall much more because I fairly soon turned it off.

I make exception for some decent transcriptions - sort of stuff Stokowski recorded; but they are going in the opposite direction, they're more expensive to perform with full orchestra - the impetus for re-arranging the Lark A., cashing in on its great popularity, is to involve fewer performers - I assume.

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I think Agnus Dei (Barber) and the arrangement of Nimrod (Elgar is in the clear, after his time) "Lux Aeterna" - choral arrangements - are abominations
                          So do I (especially towards the end of the Barber where sops get high and squeaky) but (a) audiences tend to like them, and (b) I can't be picky about who I sing for!

However, we'll have to agree to differ on Stokowski arrangements! I find his orchestration turgid in the extreme. OMG his version of Bach's D minor Toccata....

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                            I think Agnus Dei (Barber) and the arrangement of Nimrod (Elgar is in the clear, after his time) "Lux Aeterna" - choral arrangements - are abominations and I make my view clear to any choral director who I work with (not that it has any effect I suspect - but it makes it clear why, when I absent myself from participating in a concert including them).

I think I heard a Lark ascending arrangement with Accordion (an instrument I don't disregard on principle) - possibly in a late night slot. Can't recall much more because I fairly soon turned it off.

I make exception for some decent transcriptions - sort of stuff Stokowski recorded; but they are going in the opposite direction, they're more expensive to perform with full orchestra - the impetus for re-arranging the Lark A., cashing in on its great popularity, is to involve fewer performers - I assume.
                            After hearing that clip I won't be running out for a version with choir of 'The Lark Ascending'.

A year or three ago in Dresden I was interviewing Arabella Steinbacher who was to play that evening 'The Lark Ascending', a new addition to her repertory. She said to me 'Do you know it?' I nearly spat out my coffee. I'm sure she had no real idea just how popular it is in the UK. The Dresden orchestras don't seem to play much English music especially now Colin Davis isn't there to conduct.

Comment

• Once Was 4
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              After hearing that clip I won't be running out for a version with choir of 'The Lark Ascending'.

A year or three ago in Dresden I was interviewing Arabella Steinbacher who was to play that evening 'The Lark Ascending', a new addition to her repertory. She said to me 'Do you know it?' I nearly spat out my coffee. I'm sure she had no real idea just how popular it is in the UK. The Dresden orchestras don't seem to play much English music especially now Colin Davis isn't there to conduct.
                              There's just been a broadcast on BBC Radio 3 of Tatiana's Letter Scene from Eugene Onegin[/I] arranged for violin and orchestra.Really - so much great violin literature and we are subjected to that.

By the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4GsQHTXSA

Comment

Working...
                              X