Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King’s College Cambridge at Easter, BBC2

A reminder of this transmission of the sequence for Easter on Saturday 11 April at 7pm on BBC2 tv.

It was recorded in December and was my favourite of the three broadcast ‘events’ I was lucky enough to attend that month. (It will be additionally nostalgic to see everyone standing so close together.... )

I can’t for the moment see that the service booklet is available to download anywhere in advance of the broadcast.

(A download of the programme will also be available from 8pm tomorrow, and will include the service booklet apparently: https://www.kingscollegerecordings.c...om-kings-2020/ )
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 27-03-24, 01:13.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Thanks Calibs. Our household was just moaning about the lack of sacred music on TV. So your post jogged us to open the new Radio Times!
    (Enjoying Youtube Netherlands St Matt Pash right now. Marvellous.)

Comment

The Order of Service is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h9x6

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
        The Order of Service is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h9x6
        Many thanks, cat

Comment

Well, that was pretty awesome, I thought. I said it at Christmas, but Daniel Hyde has got this choir back up to top notch. The beautifully nuanced Bainton at the end was deeply moving. The tenors make or break this piece and the ones on show here were to die for. I hadn't previously come across Chilcott's "Now the green blade riseth", but was very taken with it. A very striking setting - and not at all a bad impression of a Song Thrush.

Comment

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
            Well, that was pretty awesome, I thought. I said it at Christmas, but Daniel Hyde has got this choir back up to top notch. The beautifully nuanced Bainton at the end was deeply moving. The tenors make or break this piece and the ones on show here were to die for. I hadn't previously come across Chilcott's "Now the green blade riseth", but was very taken with it. A very striking setting - and not at all a bad impression of a Song Thrush.
            Agree about the Bainton. Two things struck me watching the choir particularly in that piece. Firstly the attention they were paying to their MD, heads up eyes watching, and secondly the very obvious pleasure they had in the music. This was not a choir just going through the motions.
            One of the pieces at the beginning of the sequence, a setting of Ubi Caritas by Ola Gjeilo, not known to me, I thought very good. Following with the Durufle setting of Tantum Ergo(which I know well so was happikly singing along!) made I thought for a pleasing grouping. Talking of singing along reminds me of the perennial niggle that the words to the hymns don't appear on screen for such programmes. Not all are like 'All Glory Laud and Honour' with 50% being repeated chorus...
            Fortunate that they managed to get this recorded before the Covid 19 restrictions made such things impossible.

Comment

I may be wrong but I think the Easter one was recorded around the time of the Christmas TV one... but I’m sure Caliban will correct me. I agree with the above; a choir at ease with itself! I thought musicality improved as things went on. The first few items (including the Ubi Caritas) were just a bit four-square, but after that, exquisite. Interesting to see how things develop. It would be good to get posts from Forumistas who hear them in the flesh from time to time.

Comment

Agree with all the positives above. A brilliant, cohesive programme avoiding populist items. Good to have so many Wood items, I think from his St Mark Passion? Only the Lloyd Were you there? too fussily arranged IMO. Choir all looked engaged and eager, stunning singing from the top four boys in the Wesley. Well delivered readings. Great stuff; augers well for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                  Agree with all the positives above. A brilliant, cohesive programme avoiding populist items. Good to have so many Wood items, I think from his St Mark Passion? Only the Lloyd Were you there? too fussily arranged IMO. Choir all looked engaged and eager, stunning singing from the top four boys in the Wesley. Well delivered readings. Great stuff; augers well for the future.
                  What is wrong with 'populist' items for goodness sake? What is the Bainton ,after all, and the hymns?

Civitas Sancti Tui is a favourite of mine as long as the 'r' in Jerusalem is rolled otherwise it comes out as Jewhusalem which it did here - disappointing lack of attention to essential detail. I did notice a slight harshness and lack of polish with the bigger sound from the choir.

Shame DH never had the courage to have a treble soloist in Blessed be the God and Father.

Too many women doing the readings - only one man. Something will have to be done about this!

The choral scholar with the luxuriant black hair down to his shoulders will have it around his ankles by Christmas if he is still there and lockdown hasn't been lifted!

Comment

This was quite incredible. The music, some of it, was quite breathtaking! Whose the new chap at the helm?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Whose the new chap at the helm?
                      BBMk2. He's called Dan(iel) Hyde, and was I think Cleobury's preferred successor. He came from doing a short-ish spell at St Thomas Fifth Avenue New York, but is a King's man.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        .... but is a King's man.
                        Which of them hasn't been?
                        Last edited by Vox Humana; 12-04-20, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Resurgam View Post
                          What is wrong with 'populist' items for goodness sake? What is the Bainton ,after all, and the hymns?

Civitas Sancti Tui is a favourite of mine as long as the 'r' in Jerusalem is rolled otherwise it comes out as Jewhusalem which it did here - disappointing lack of attention to essential detail. I did notice a slight harshness and lack of polish with the bigger sound from the choir.

Shame DH never had the courage to have a treble soloist in Blessed be the God and Father.

Too many women doing the readings - only one man. Something will have to be done about this!

The choral scholar with the luxuriant black hair down to his shoulders will have it around his ankles by Christmas if he is still there and lockdown hasn't been lifted!
                          Wow, not in a very sunny Easter mood? By 'populist' I meant the pieces which seemed to recur very often under SC, eg Lotti, Stainer, Handel. Nothing wrong with them.
                          Rather more males in the choir than females of course?! Something will have to be done about this!
                          Last edited by jonfan; 12-04-20, 14:19.

Comment

Too many women doing the readings - only one man.
                            But I loved the one who read in a....how shall I put it...lascivious manner. Superb.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                              I’m sure Caliban will correct me.
                              I tried to correct pre-emptively in my post #1...

Comment

Working...
                              X