Order of Service:

Introit: Non vos relinquam (Byrd)
    Responses: Smith
    Psalms 15, 24 (Jones, Barnby)
    First Lesson: 2 Samuel 23: 1-5
    Canticles: Darke in F
    Second Lesson: Colossians 2 v.20 - 3 v.4
    Anthem: Coronation Te Deum (Walton)
    Hymn: The Head that once was crowned with thorns (St. Magnus)

Organ Voluntary: Toccata in F major BuxWV157 (Buxtehude)

Clive Driskill-Smith (Sub-Organist)
    Stephen Darlington (Director of Music)

• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Or..................try this:
    The Rodolfus Foundation is proud to present our first ever Virtual Evensong in association with Friends of Cathedral Music and ChoralEvensong.org. Our Virtu...

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Reminder: CE [A] from CCC Ox today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• WolfPaul
        • May 2020

Hello all; newbie here. Can anyone tell me the tune that was used for the office hymn, "Look, ye saints, the sight is glorious"? The hymn wasn't even listed on the BBC website, and I quite enjoyed it. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Welcome WolfP ! Haven't heard all of the CE yet (weather too nice outside) but I had a quick listen to the Office Hymn. It's not one I know, although the tune sort of rings a bell. If I can't find it in my embarrassingly large hymn book collection, I'll jot the tune down and take it to a hymn-guru (William Llewellyn) who lives just round the corner from me. In the meantime, others mat know it......

PS The words are by Thomas Kelly (who he?) and the only tunes I've found in hymn books are Regent Squre by Henry Smart and Triumph by Gauntlett. The tune on CE today had a sort of 1950s public-school feel to it, though it's not in Hymns for Church and School AKA The Public School Hymnal. So I've written it and the harmony down and will inquire tomorrow.
          Last edited by ardcarp; 20-05-20, 22:34.

Comment

• Andrew Butler

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Welcome WolfP ! Haven't heard all of the CE yet (weather too nice outside) but I had a quick listen to the Office Hymn. It's not one I know, although the tune sort of rings a bell. If I can't find it in my embarrassingly large hymn book collection, I'll jot the tune down and take it to a hymn-guru (William Llewellyn) who lives just round the corner from me. In the meantime, others mat know it......

PS The words are by Thomas Kelly (who he?) and the only tunes I've found in hymn books are Regent Squre by Henry Smart and Triumph by Gauntlett. The tune on CE today had a sort of 1950s public-school feel to it, though it's not in Hymns for Church and School AKA The Public School Hymnal. So I've written it and the harmony down and will inquire tomorrow.
            The tune is "St Audrey" by Basil Harwood.

Comment

• WolfPaul
              • May 2020

Many thanks for the welcome and the information - much appreciated.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Andrew Butler View Post
                The tune is "St Audrey" by Basil Harwood.
                He also wrote the splendid tune Thornbury (O Jesus I have promised/Thy hand, O God, has guided).

Comment

• Andrew Butler

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  He also wrote the splendid tune Thornbury (O Jesus I have promised/Thy hand, O God, has guided).
                  And a number of others - not so well known.... https://hymnary.org/person/Harwood_B

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Andrew Butler View Post
                    And a number of others - not so well known.... https://hymnary.org/person/Harwood_B
                    From which it appears that the hymn features in Common Praise (the 'updated' Hymns Ancient and Modern); maybe ardcarp's already embarrassingly large hymnbook collection needs to become even larger.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

..I wouldn't have anything so common.

Anyway, the ink's dry on my handwritten copy, and you've saved me a journey to the hymn guru. (I might go and see him anyway, as he's very elderly and would probably enjoy being asked,)

PS The tune is in Hymns for Church and School, but set to different words, Lord of Beauty, Thine the Splendour. I thought it rang a bell. Basil Harwood's second best-known tune (probably) is Luckington (Let all the World in Every Corner Sing).
                      Last edited by ardcarp; 21-05-20, 12:23.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Welcome WolfPaul!

Comment

Working...
                        X